Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2013, 09:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default bootcamp Win8

This transcends the mac/os forum, guess it will go here. Trying win8 on my Mac Mini. lol

Mind you.. i'm installing pro if that matters over regular 8 <?> guess, we'll find out.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:18 AM
Allstar

Be interesting to see if you can do that given the Secure Boot requirement and the lengths MS have gone to try and prevent dual booting with other OSes.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Be interesting to see if you can do that given the Secure Boot requirement and the lengths MS have gone to try and prevent dual booting with other OSes.
I was just actually reading this on a different Forum something I didn't know about
Quote:
Ubuntu or any linux distro can be installed on a PC with Windows 8 preinstalled. The term is actually UEFI.UEFI PCs have been around a couple years now.A lot of Asus machines came with them running Windows 7 And that is not the reason for the troubles. It is Secure Boot. Secure Boot checks hardware, and other software for signatures at startup. If the signature is not supposed to be there, u will have issues. Even replacing a video card with Secure Boot on will cause the PC not to boot. For an OEM to be Microsoft Certified, they MUST have a way to disable it. When booted into Windows, hold down the "shift" key and click restart. That will take u to some troubleshooting options. Choose "UEFI" from there. That will take u to a "BIOS" like screen where u can disable Secure Boot and u must enable legacy boot which is different for OEMs. After that u can then boot to anything u like and install another OS.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The process is actually quite flawless on my i5 mini when using the Win7 bootcamp guides. Runs very well. if win8 runs fast on this hardware i'd be keen to try it on my tower. It's also games surprisingly well playing Company of Heroes.

Can't stand the metro interface tho... try to avoid it but some things on desktop keep dragging me back (i.e. picture viewing and stuff) =P
Old February 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I was just actually reading this on a different Forum something I didn't know about
It's not as easy as that would make it sound.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to duel boot all of the time with win xp and different linux distros then on win 7 it was a bit more tricky but I was able to duel boot but I cannot seem to figure it out doing it in win8