Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Why I still strongly dislike metro

I'm going to keep this fairly simple instead of going into great details.

1) Limited to 1 screen.
2) 1 instance of internet explorer only
3) Microsoft owes me $10 for décor8 and start8
4) No correlation between desktop apps and metro apps (for some reason installing metro dropbox as well as desktop dropbox involves 2 different folder setups.
5) Store is still extremely limited from my point of view, and the way its organized is poor.
6) Mail app, your always stuck with the 3 panes no matter what, and for some reason it doesn't pickup email links from anywhere. Also, sideways scrolling should NEVER really happen by default.
7) IE10, you cannot reorganize the pinned website in the app, its always going to be in order of pinned which is unacceptable.
8) Extremely limited settings throughout metro, most noticeable in IE10 where there are none. At all. The hoops I had to go through to change the default search engine was appalling.
9) I have found the split screen too limiting on my desktop to be of any real use, 50/50 would be useful not the 6th of so of the screen that they have limited it to.
10) Lack of flash and other plugins (sliverlight for example) in IE10. This is not some gimped cellphone OS this is Windows FFS.
11) Inability to install desktop programs from the store

With all the features/functionality that Microsoft could have added, something along the way of Ubuntu's workspaces for example, we got this near useless layer, for it is just a layer ontop of windows. The rest of Windows8 really is just a service pack upgrade for the most part from what I can tell, if you missed the cheap upgrade do not bother.

Last edited by muse108dc; February 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
Allstar

If you can't adjust, just use Classic Shell it's free.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its not an issue of adjusting, I am using Win8 without too much difficulty but these issues when I hit them just make me want to tear my hair out sometimes. I can live with it as I mostly live in the desktop anyways, mostly I just wanted to get this off my chest mostly.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

im trying Pokki as a start menu replacement... metro is utter crap tho
Old February 10, 2013, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hah, to spite me for writing this I can no longer launch IE10 Metro, it just crashes every time.. Good job Microsoft.

Another thing that irks me, the store just has links for desktop programs rather than actually letting you install desktop programs from there. Added to the list
Old February 11, 2013, 05:43 AM
MVP

Windows 8 reminds me of early versions of Android where it just didn't make sense the way things were run. The big difference between the two OS's though is that Android is an ever evolving OS with many many incremental updates that fix and add features where as Windows gets small fixes and patches without ever evolving until theres a huge service pack a year or two down the road that finally address the major issues long after the majority of potential users have given up on the system.
The first thing I did with Win8 was make it resemble Win7 as much as possible. The entire metro interface and anything to do with it is just a huge blunder on the part of MS. What the hell were they thinking?
Old February 11, 2013, 06:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Seriously you can't run multi monitor??????

As to the problem with ie10, switch to firefox!

Sadly, it's comments like this that have killed my interest in windows 8 completely. Windows 7 shall be my last purchase from microsoft. Metro sucking coupled with ubuntu getting more feature-rich every day has sealed the deal.

I'm on the go a lot and am constantly running statistical and mathematical software on my aging laptop. I also need basic web browsing while at school to do assignments and research.

/sudo start ubuntu rant

Everything is now easier to use than windows (shock!). No longer do you comb through the internet for installation instructions and locations of free software; it's all handled through an application akin to the appstore in your iphone/android device! For example, things like developer tools like python are there to download and install all with a GUI, but there's also GUI installations of things like ODE solvers and matlab analogue programs.

After switching to ubuntu I can now keep my desktop and laptop (and smartphone soon!) synchronized over an internet connection. There is also integrated cloud storage, which I do not yet use. But the kicker is you can configure your ultimate-ninja tower at home to be accessible by your laptop (or perhaps phone soon!). I haven't used it yet, but I can offload computational tasks to my home system without even opening the terminal. When I get some free time, I plan to set up my home tower as my own private cloud storage.

In closing, if you hate win8, switch to ubuntu! More and more apps are coming to it everyday (steam is in beta!!!!!!!!). Once all games are ubuntu compatible I will no longer have a use for windows.

/sudo end ubuntu rant
Old February 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

speaking of Ubuntu I think that it has turned to crap also way to much forced install crap on it. I prefer Crunchbang over Ubuntu. as for win8 all of the above reasons as to why it sucks I agree with but it does seem to be a little more responsive but to be honest I would rather donate the dollars spent on MS OS to a Linux based OS if the gaming Devs would make more games that would " smoothly" work .
Old February 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

k... so metro has a built in PDF reader. is it just me that can't send PDF files to my printer?
Old February 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm going to keep this fairly simple instead of going into great details.

1) Limited to 1 screen. You can have metro open on one screen and desktop on another
2) 1 instance of internet explorer only A. Why would you use internet explorer, B. Why would you use internet explorer in metro
3) Microsoft owes me $10 for décor8 and start8 Why would you pay for what you can get for free
4) No correlation between desktop apps and metro apps (for some reason installing metro dropbox as well as desktop dropbox involves 2 different folder setups.That's because it opens in two different ways
5) Store is still extremely limited from my point of view, and the way its organized is poor. Better than no store
6) Mail app, your always stuck with the 3 panes no matter what, and for some reason it doesn't pickup email links from anywhere. Also, sideways scrolling should NEVER really happen by default. Use a different mail app
7) IE10, you cannot reorganize the pinned website in the app, its always going to be in order of pinned which is unacceptable. Again IE is horrid and I don't know why you are using it
8) Extremely limited settings throughout metro, most noticeable in IE10 where there are none. At all. The hoops I had to go through to change the default search engine was appalling. It depends on the app again IE10 is garbage
9) I have found the split screen too limiting on my desktop to be of any real use, 50/50 would be useful not the 6th of so of the screen that they have limited it to. This is one thing I agree with
10) Lack of flash and other plugins (sliverlight for example) in IE10. This is not some gimped cellphone OS this is Windows FFS. IE 10 again
11) Inability to install desktop programs from the store I don't know why you would want to

With all the features/functionality that Microsoft could have added, something along the way of Ubuntu's workspaces for example, we got this near useless layer, for it is just a layer ontop of windows. The rest of Windows8 really is just a service pack upgrade for the most part from what I can tell, if you missed the cheap upgrade do not bother.

I don't know I feel as though a lot of your complaints stem from how you use it rather than how it can be used. It isn't meant to be your main interface on. a laptop or desktop, it is just a start menu replacement that is a little more flashy and customizable. I don't really have any of these problems, most of them can eb avoided by ditching IE10, which no one even used IE9 anyways so I don't know why IE10 being bad is a big deal.