Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   VOIP (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/59554-voip.html)

IRQ Conflict February 6, 2013 05:22 PM

VOIP

Haven't used VOIP in many years. I'd like to play some Borderlands with my nephews and Titan Quest with my sister (the little RPG addict).

Any recommendations?

Perineum February 6, 2013 06:36 PM

for what you're describing I'd say set up teamspeak or mumble

bigFOIG February 6, 2013 09:22 PM

Why not just use Skype? Works well, and I use it for just about everything.

IRQ Conflict February 6, 2013 10:31 PM

Skype? I never thought of that. Looked into it and sure enough you can talk to other Skype users for free! I've been meaning to look into that software for years now lol. I always thought it was just for calling someone over the land line. Thanks!

bigFOIG February 7, 2013 12:03 AM

No problem. Skype is awesome. Don't need to pay a penny for Skype to Skype calls. Video chat is also convenient for friends across the world, etc. If you still use MSN, or Windows Live Messenger, you can merge it with your Skype account and your MSN contacts will appear in Skype. MS is getting rid of MSN now that they bought Skype, heh.

Perineum February 7, 2013 12:56 AM

I should have said Skype too. Out of all of them it really does come as best quality for voice and video calls.

Better than Tango or any of the other ones I've tried.

IRQ Conflict February 7, 2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigFOIG (Post 688990)
No problem. Skype is awesome. Don't need to pay a penny for Skype to Skype calls. Video chat is also convenient for friends across the world, etc. If you still use MSN, or Windows Live Messenger, you can merge it with your Skype account and your MSN contacts will appear in Skype. MS is getting rid of MSN now that they bought Skype, heh.

found that out when I installed it. Sweet! I can log into hotmail and my MS account is also jacked into my Facebook account so my contacts are all there. I didn't know MS bought Skype. Surley that's a good thing.

What camera do you guys use? I was thinking of picking up a couple of the logitech TV HD's they have advertised on the Skype website and gifting one to the outlaws. They live about 1000k from us and it would be neat if they could see their great granddaughter more than once a year. I think my granddaughter would get a kick out of it as well.

Perineum February 7, 2013 10:03 AM

Any webcam is fine really, but one with a nice picture is of course nicer. The Microsoft ones go on sale as well, and they are 720 / 1080 as well. Very nice picture on those.

My kids "webcam" with the grandparents via Tango, Skype, MSN messenger, Google Talk, or whatever is available and what devices we're using. The grandparents get a kick out of being able to watch the kids at activities when I'm out with the 'droid phone via google talk.