Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Something i can't understand (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/59503-something-i-cant-understand.html)

bostonkikiki February 4, 2013 05:28 PM

Something i can't understand

Hi everyone ! Here's my problem : I bought a Samsung Laptop (windows 8) in a computer store. They didn't give me any Windows 8 CDRom. (even if i requested it...). So, i know there are many ways to "recover" or "restore" your system... but i really believe in the old fashion way, by installing a fresh new copy of your OS...
So, can someone please tell me how i can do to do so ? (for example, if i wanna change my hard drive, how do i do ?) Am i really stuck with those "recover" and "restore" thing ??

sswilson February 4, 2013 05:35 PM

OS licenses on laptops are typically designed for use as a recovery disk. there are usually ways around using the key on a standard OEM install disk but using those are a gray area and thus are generally not considered appropriate for our forum.

As far as replacing the HDD goes... you should have an option in your software to burn recovery disks rather than just depending on the laptop's hidden recovery partion..... If you had a start button I'd direct you to the samsung folder in the start menu, but since you're running win8 without a menu, I'd suggest calling samsung support to find out what it's called so that you can do a search for it.......

enaberif February 4, 2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bostonkikiki (Post 688413)
Hi everyone ! Here's my problem : I bought a Samsung Laptop (windows 8) in a computer store. They didn't give me any Windows 8 CDRom. (even if i requested it...). So, i know there are many ways to "recover" or "restore" your system... but i really believe in the old fashion way, by installing a fresh new copy of your OS...
So, can someone please tell me how i can do to do so ? (for example, if i wanna change my hard drive, how do i do ?) Am i really stuck with those "recover" and "restore" thing ??

EVERY laptop has a recovery disc creator software or a hidden partition for recovery.

grinder February 4, 2013 08:28 PM

Tier 1 laptop manufacturers will send you the re-installation media for a small fee plus shipping (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.), this is only designed to re-load the OS if the factory restore/recover partition is damaged.

If you manage to get one from Samsung (with a fee, have your credit card ready), you will still have every ounce of bloatware on your unit as it did when you drove it home from the store... heh.

Daedalus2002 February 4, 2013 09:15 PM

Download it from Microsoft's website. If its a full OEM version (which it should be!) then your code on the underside of the laptop will work with no tricks required.

Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key - Microsoft Windows

If you follow the steps here it should eventually ask you to upgrade directly or create an install disk. (I havent actually tried this, but technet says this works).

bostonkikiki February 5, 2013 04:29 AM

all right ! Thank you all for the quick replies !
Yes i do have a samsung recovery software... but guess what, the only option i have is to create an "image" of my computer on a server somewhere, in case i wanna recover it... the imageis about 60GB ! Anyway, i'll try that thing with Microsoft website !

frontier204 February 5, 2013 09:23 AM

You can also create a recovery USB stick, although using it will install the factory image rather than a fresh OS. There's also the issue of using up a 16GB USB stick...
Windows 8 Tip: Create Recovery Media | Windows 8 content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

Of course if you're trying to remove bloatware with a reinstall, this method will not work. I'm not sure about Samsung, but the ASUS and Dell XPS Windows 8 images come with a very minimal amount of bloatware, not enough to merit reinstalling to remove it anyway.

bostonkikiki February 6, 2013 07:02 AM

i guess i'll try with the USB thing, because with the windows website, it tells me my key code doesn't allow me to get a new version of win8...

Shadowmeph February 6, 2013 09:30 AM

I am not sure but I had always thught that you could download a legit copy of the OS and then just use the serial number that is on your laptop to install the os.

Nodscene February 6, 2013 11:34 AM

This may help....

Edit: Won't let me post the link. I'll pm you the info.