Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Tried to go back to Windows 7.....

So, I installed windows 8 in the fall. I hated the Metro UI from the start. But.......

I tried to go back to Windows 7 yesterday. LOL. It didnt last on my pc for more than a couple of hours.

- prefer the new flatter window design. MS is right. Aero is gimicky.
- prefer the flat, square windows to the rounded ones in 7.
- love Win 8's task manager. Its a huge improvement.
- Simple things like copying files is way better in 8. I love the realtime transfer speed graph.
- Win 8 really seems snappier to me.
- dislike the windows store apps and reall dont like all of the ads at all. But after uninstalling the apps I dont care for and organize the start screen to my tastes, I'm ok with it.
- The menus in win 8 are better as well.

I cant go back to win 7 now, I am growing used to 8. I give a lot of tech support to people so it only makes sense for me to be running the latest os.

Anyway, I guess I am turning around a bit and becoming used to win 8. Feels dirty for me to go back to 7.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
So, I installed windows 8 in the fall. I hated the Metro UI from the start. But.......

I tried to go back to Windows 7 yesterday. LOL. It didnt last on my pc for more than a couple of hours.

- prefer the new flatter window design. MS is right. Aero is gimicky.
- prefer the flat, square windows to the rounded ones in 7.
- love Win 8's task manager. Its a huge improvement.
- Simple things like copying files is way better in 8. I love the realtime transfer speed graph.
- Win 8 really seems snappier to me.
- dislike the windows store apps and reall dont like all of the ads at all. But after uninstalling the apps I dont care for and organize the start screen to my tastes, I'm ok with it.
- The menus in win 8 are better as well.

I cant go back to win 7 now, I am growing used to 8. I give a lot of tech support to people so it only makes sense for me to be running the latest os.

Anyway, I guess I am turning around a bit and becoming used to win 8. Feels dirty for me to go back to 7.
Although I can't agree with Metro, Start8 and Win8 have been a winning combo with me for many of teh reasons you state.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2013, 02:24 PM
MVP

I agree. Start8 makes Windows 8 a PROPER OS again.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old January 12, 2013, 05:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Start8 AND Decor8!
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old January 12, 2013, 08:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's like any new version of Windows. First time you use it, you hate it, but eventually it grows on you and you see why they did what they did.

Decor8 definitely helps to make the start menu more "your own". I have an RoG logo in the bottom left of mine to tie in with my red/black theme inside my case and RoG motherboard.

Start8 while nice in functionality, I don't find myself needing it. I'm content with using the start menu as-is.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm finding that I spend more time on the Windows 8 side of my dual-boot PC than on my Win7 side. Win8 has my productivity apps (Office 2010 and Adobe Photoshop Elements. Windows 7 has my games. I am still tinkering with my system, learning ins and outs of Windows 8. Playing with the free APPS, found a few photography fun ones. Maps (I think BING) even had a better aerial image of our house (we live in a remote rural hamlet of about 200 people, I was flabbergasted by the image, you could even make out our vehicles, google maps only gives a side glance at the village from the highway. I did find some gadgets that I like 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8 which has the Win7 style clock, calendar, CPU/Memory dial meters, and a quick "off" button which I use. I'm slowly getting the hang of this new system. It is growing on me.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can disable the store aps here is a link to a web sight that exHow to Disable Windows Store Apps in Windows 8plains how