Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
They will need to make installing Linux easier before they will get alot of draw from the Windows crowd. I guarantee the masses will stick to Windows after they pull their hair out trying to get all the bugs out of their Linux install.
I've not had trouble with Linux installs. The only time there may be a hitch is with oddball hardware. The last Slackware install I did was up and operational from baremetal in 30 minutes. And that included applications, not just the base OS.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have been seriously contemplating going back to Linux. MS is no longer allowing me (Vista user) to dl live essentials, I suppose in a bid to get me to upgrade (downgrade?) to 8.

I bought a copy of Red Hat's Fedora 6 about 10 years ago and never had a problem installing it. It was fully automatic back then. Just a bit of a learing curve with regards to file structure, naming conventions and having to learn to compile your own drivers. Part of the fun if you ask me.

So, whats the best distro of late?
Old June 6, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ubuntu is probably the most common at the moment.

Last edited by dandelioneater; June 6, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks! I'll give Ubuntu a go asap. I'll just have a copy of Vista there for my games so I can play with linux as well.
Old June 6, 2013, 09:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I have been seriously contemplating going back to Linux. MS is no longer allowing me (Vista user) to dl live essentials, I suppose in a bid to get me to upgrade (downgrade?) to 8.

I bought a copy of Red Hat's Fedora 6 about 10 years ago and never had a problem installing it. It was fully automatic back then. Just a bit of a learing curve with regards to file structure, naming conventions and having to learn to compile your own drivers. Part of the fun if you ask me.

Really? Fully updated and authenticated?

I hadn't heard of Vista going into no support territory, I thought that was only XP.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 6, 2013, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post

PM me fool I will mail you a copy of 7 pro 64 thats legal no reason to be using vista these days
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old June 6, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Really? Fully updated and authenticated?

I hadn't heard of Vista going into no support territory, I thought that was only XP.
Yes, it was the last thing I was going to do on this five year old reinstall.

Appreciate that Soul. If you have a spare kicking around I wouldn't mind taking you up on that sweet offer. I'm not that foolish that I'd turn it down.
Old June 9, 2013, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

Kinda hard for OpenGL to compete with a billion dollar graphics API behemoth that is DirectX, not to mention cross compatibility with Xbox consoles for easy porting.

In the end, it completely depends on developer support, and developer support relies heavily on cost-effectiveness and profitability which depends on the platform friendliness. If I were to make a game, and choosing DirectX means that I can port it to XBLA in a matter of a weekend so I can have more platform exposure, I am definitely going for DirectX.

Other than a few games, I can't see OpenGL being a universal standard anytime soon.