Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2013, 01:01 PM
Rookie

How is windows 8, heard it's more of a tablet then anything else...
Old January 1, 2013, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
At least not until DX 12 becomes an issue. Might be a new OS out by then though.
lol - right and don't expect any DX12 based games around the corner ! :)
Old January 1, 2013, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Most times Microsoft brings out an OS, it gets better after the first major Service Pack. Usually though, requirements go up with that Service Pack.

Honestly I had a bad experience. The hardest thing is change, but it's not very intuitive for multiple users (as I experienced with it). But that being said, this may have changed since it cannot be installed on my PC due to its further restrictions.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
Allstar

Got to love it :)

http://i.imgur.com/LBnUoyO.jpg
Old January 23, 2013, 11:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm getting used to it and it seems to be fine, even playing around with various free apps available for Win8.

Went with Win8 Pro rather than pay for Win7 Pro when I found out that my Win7 Home Premium had a 16GB RAM ceiling and I had 32GB RAM on my machine. Win8 Pro was a lot less (like more than $100 less) than Win7 Pro upgrade.

I set up a dual boot system and go back and forth between the two OS's. I'm using Win8 for productivity as it had issues with many of my games but my productivity software (Office 10, Adobe Photoshop Elements 10) were good to go in Win8. I've been trying to get comparisons between benchmarks between the two OS's but that's proven to be more of a challenge than I am up to. I don't think my Win8 runs any slower than my Win7 set up but benchmarks seem to suggest otherwise. I've been posting the saga of this comparison in the OC threat (Win7 vs Win8 Benchmarks).

I saw somewhere that the introductory price on Win8 is ending soon so if you are thinking about upgrading you may want to check out when this price increase is scheduled and act accordingly.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 23, 2013, 01:17 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius Jr. View Post
I'm am running it solely in desktop mode with my most used programs in the task-bar, any thing else that is rarely need is on the start screen. I just wish there was a way to boot straight into the desktop without having a work around.
Me too. I bought a laptop that was preloaded with 8 Pro, and for what I use it for, it's more of a pain than a convenience. I don't want to use a hotmail/msn/live email just to use the Apps that are already on it! Even the Skype app asked for a msn sign in before it would even start. Uninstall that crap and installed the official client. Steam did a weird thing too when it first installed, I wasn't sure if it completed properly or not, but seems to run ok now for chatting, no gaming. Even a friend who did the same and bought a new laptop formatted it and put 7 on.

Bottom line: I'd go back to 7 if they offered it on cheap laptops anymore.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:24 PM
Rookie

I'm using it on a non-touch laptop and I have to say that I have gotten used to the new UI in just a few hours. It loads a lot faster than Windows 7, it looks a lot more cleaner and the Start Screen is quite interesting. :)