Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Windows 8 Full Version

Picked up a couple of copies of Windows 8 Pro today. But I don't want to open the packaging until I know that I have the full version of windows and not the upgrade version. Is there a way I can tell? It doesn't actually say on the package. If you click the link here it shows a pic (the larger one) of the box mine came in.

I do have Vista home but I can't register that OS on any other computer but the one I assigned to it so when I change my hardware I'll need a full version iirc.

What lead me to believe this was the full version was the price was marked down from $250.00 to $70.00. I thought there was no way an upgrade version could be that much? The people at Wal-Mart couldn't tell me either. But they were able to tell me that if I registered it I would not be able to return it.

It does say "Single user license" on the bottom though. What has me concerned is the tag on top in the description says "Win 8 32 bit/64bit English VUP DVD"

It's the "VUP" that has me worried. VUP= Version Upgrade?

EDIT: OK, looked around. VUP is definitely the upgrade version. Sigh. Not only that but if you want the full version it would seem you are limited to the hardware locked OEM versions. double sigh.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 24, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 08:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With Windows 7 there was ways around this so that you could use an upgrade key to do a full install. I don't know if such a thing exists for Windows 8 currently though.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With Vista (I own two OEM licenses) You can do it if you replace/upgrade your system. But it involves being grilled by some pimple faced noob at M$ help desk.

I yearn for yesteryear. Two versions of windows. One for home/small business and one for enterprise (no it didn't come with a Spock doll). Though I do appreciated the more advanced tech. Took em long enough to think that maybe they shouldn't be loading every service in the book unless called upon though.
Old December 25, 2012, 02:18 AM
Top Prospect

Take it back to Walmart - you are paying too much for the OS.

Microsoft is offering an upgrade deal from any version of windows to Windows 8 Pro for $40. Check their website out, and see.

All you need to do is click on the upgrade link on their website and download the upgrade advisor. It will run, and give you advice about your system (what is compatible, what may need to be upgraded, and what is Ok). It will then ask you if you want to keep the software and upgrade, or upgrade and copy over your personal data, or start from scratch.

It is a full version - you can then pay the $40, get a licence key, download the software (a 2.4Gb download, it will then ask you if you want to burn it on a dvd or make a bootable USB memory stick), and then you can install it from scratch (formatting your drive, installing a clean copy etc...

This upgrade promotion ends January 31st, limit 5 per customer. I've purchased two so far, and it installed great (new copy from scratch, then I installed all the rest of my software and copied over my data from a backup). Easy way to clean out the computer from all the junk that gets in over the years.

Note: this does not come with any dvd player software or mediacenter. But you can ask for a licence key for mediacenter for windows 8 for free until jsnuary 31st (one copy only, though).
Old December 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah, thanks but that isn't 8 pro. Not if it doesn't net you media center and DVD player iirc.
Old December 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

It isn't Windows 8 Pro without media center and DVD playback?

Sorry, but the closest thing you're talking about is Windows 8 Pro Pack, not Pro. The Pro Pack is an upgrade to the basic windows 8 and gives you Pro and media center.

All four Windows 8 versions (Windows RT, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, and Windows 8 Enterprise) do NOT include media center or DVD playback licensing. You now have to get those separately.

Here's the link to the Windows 8 Pro upgrade (even Microsoft calls it Pro ).

Even the System Builder version (for new installations) does not include media center. Not even the so-called Full Version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because this has been a major issue for me since they announced that they were separating media center and DVD playback from windows 8. I have four HTPCs running Win 7 Pro with Media center than I am not upgrading to Windows 8.
Old December 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, your right. I read it wrong. Sorry.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback and link guys!

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 26, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmm, tried using the upgrade assistant. Won't process my order.

EDIT: And it only gives me the option to install Pro. Not vanilla 8. I don't want to be stuck with an OS that's locked to this computer when I upgrade the motherboard.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; December 27, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You sure you want Windows 8? It's pretty awful.

I played with the developer preview, but just used a retail copy last night and it really pissed me off to no end. When it takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to shut the machine down then that's just ludicrous.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
Allstar

As soon as I finish with this snow, I will re install Windows 7, a year of that Windows 8 crap is more that I can endure, at least I give it a try.