Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Allstar

I was talking to the guys in the local computer shops the week before Christmas. In the last couple of months they have Win7 10:1 over Win 8 for either custom builds or as separate buys. Microsoft may feel the final vote at the bottom line - which is really about the only way to get their attention.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They will. And they will course correct.
Old December 28, 2012, 12:29 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I was talking to the guys in the local computer shops the week before Christmas. In the last couple of months they have Win7 10:1 over Win 8 for either custom builds or as separate buys. Microsoft may feel the final vote at the bottom line - which is really about the only way to get their attention.
Right now I have Windows 8 Enterprise Edition newly installed (2 days ago). Never had such a flawless install experience...just had to get one driver to install (Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver...found it in 2 seconds). Found and installed my Canon wireless printer as well, and joined my Homegroup without me having to input the password. This makes two Windows 8 machines, plus a Win7 machine here on my network now.

BUT (and folks won't like this I'm sure) I did promptly install Start8 and I did pay the $5 for my laptop. I will report if I ever have any issues, as this is now on my laptop which I use often.

So far a positive experience, aside from having to use Start8. All my programs seem to work fine so far.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 28, 2012, 01:14 PM
Allstar

^ i hope this shows how useful the core OS upgrades are in win8. I had an identical experience with my cousin's build and seriously thought something was wrong because it went so smoothly; it was basically having a qualified tech do everything for me (and do it pretty decently at that).

of course...apparently most people won't get to use those upgrades because they don't want to install a single program.
Old December 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Allstar

new gaming laptop came with windows 8. alls i can say is hot keys, hot keys, hot keys

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |