Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

I have to smile when read these messages, I went through the same outrage when I first installed Windows 8.

One simple solution? Install Classic Shell (link here). Its free, open source, and puts back the classic start menu button, making windows 8 similar to windows 7 and more bearable. The PC I have windows 8 pro running on is working very nicely.

I must admit I was frustrated as heck the first time I couldn't find the Shut down button myself... very stupid design. What was Microsoft thinking?
Old December 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
You sure you want Windows Vista? It's pretty awful.

I played with the developer preview, but just used a retail copy last night and it really pissed me off to no end. When it takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to shut the machine down then that's just ludicrous.
Fixed that for you. Truth is, 10 minutes to learn such a foreign UI is actually not bad. It didn't take long for Vista to become a great OS. An OS that paved the way for 7's easy win.

Thus, it is so (more or less) with 8. New OS new interface, which BTW M$ will eventually change so desktop users aren't encumbered by the touch screen shenanigans. Yes, I would like to save 50% off the OS now while I can.

It's a fact that 7/Vista will not have further DX support going forward (DX 11+) I am a gamer. So, yes, in short....er...well I want Windows 8. Or rather what it does/will bring to the table in the future. Faster boot times? Yes Please. On demand services? Lower resources? Wow! A less bloated OS that people have wanted for years. We got it.

But because you have to take a different road to get to where you want to go, your willing to throw the bath water out with the baby? Admittedly, M$ screwed up by alianating non touch screen users. But they will remedy that. And even if they don't you can go to stardock and for 5 bucks get that functionality back.

There are plenty of desktop users that once have learned the new UI have grown to really like it. You may not, heck I don't see myself 'loving' it. But as I said, I am a gamer. Once BF3 is loaded, I don't care about the start button much as I take your tags.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK View Post
I must admit I was frustrated as heck the first time I couldn't find the Shut down button myself... very stupid design. What was Microsoft thinking?
They weren't. But I have a feeling they will start to think once they realize thier groupies were wrong. And their commercial clients were right. They'll fix it.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

... except I used Vista for years, and it wasn't all that bad. I didn't even have to hack to OS to make it tolerable.

I'm aware there are third party add ons, but I would be interested in how cleanly they were able to do so without having weird side effects like I've seen in the past with WinXP and "theme" style programs.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Query, what does the windows key launch on 8?
Old December 28, 2012, 04:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Query, what does the windows key launch on 8?
It launches the start menu/metro/modern ui/whatever you want to call it. The screen with all the tiles.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah! So, there is a start button after all?
Old December 28, 2012, 06:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, it's not a start button, it's the screen shot of somebody running win XP/Vista/Win7 who isn't smart enough to know that they shouldn't clutter their entire desktop with icons.

edit: And no.... I have zero faith that Microsoft is going to see the light and return a fully functional non-touch start menu enabled desktop.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 28, 2012, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Old December 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I have zero faith in Microsoft
I correct it