Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Windows 8 Default Theme

Anyone know how to change the default Windows Theme. I have a "my theme" saved with a set of panoramic backgrounds that suits my three screen array, but every time I open Windows 8 the system reverts to the Windows default theme and that dang daisy pops up.

Sure I can right click and personalize, select my theme and I'm back to my nice backgrounds but there must be a way for my theme to be the default theme and not have to reset it every time I turn on Win8.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 20, 2012, 08:23 AM
Top Prospect

Which version do you have?

Give this a shot (just use whatever theme it is you are wanting to use):
How to re-enable the aero lite theme in windows 8? - Super User
Old December 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have Windows 8 Pro.

Will try that link out and see if it helps.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That link lets me create yet another theme that I then can select after the Windows default theme opens up. It un-hides a theme called Aero that was the original default theme and was left in the background but was not easily available.

How hard can this be?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old December 21, 2012, 01:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
That link lets me create yet another theme that I then can select after the Windows default theme opens up. It un-hides a theme called Aero that was the original default theme and was left in the background but was not easily available.

How hard can this be?
Sorry, but I didn't think it was that hard at all. It shows you where you can go to change the setting of the default theme. So if it's not keeping the theme you keep changing it to, change the default setting of the default theme itself so it shows what you want instead. That's why I said just use whatever theme it is you are wanting to use instead.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Probably driver related? Check the manufacturers for the latest drivers. Could be an issue where they do not properly match up. Else, revert back to the old desktop option and reboot and reset to the version you have created.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by altereDad View Post
Probably driver related? Check the manufacturers for the latest drivers. Could be an issue where they do not properly match up. Else, revert back to the old desktop option and reboot and reset to the version you have created.
Driver related? Do you mean the Windows 8 drivers?
Match Up? Which drivers do not match up with what?
Revert back? That is the problem. The system automatically reverts back to the default theme every time I reboot. I should not do that. Once I personalize it with a new theme of my making, it is supposed to remember and use that theme.

Still seeking a solution to this simple issue. Is anyone else having this problem or is Windows 8 remembering your chosen theme?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 13, 2013, 10:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I created a new user for my wife. The system remembers the theme I set for her. It must be something about the way my user profile is set up that is forcing Win8 to reload the Default Daisy. I suppose I could just recreate myself and make a new user and see if and when this problem recurs. I was hoping for an easier fix than that.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 13, 2013, 07:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default SOLVED - AMD Catalyst's Multi-Desktop Option

I re-created myself making a new user in Windows 8 and noticed that Win8 remembered my theme choice when I rebooted. BUT I had not loaded my programs and settings, so I tried adding them and testing as I went. I found the BUG. The Culprit was AMD's Catalyst's "Vision Engine Control Centre" and the Multi-Desktop option that is part of the HydraVision component. When Enabled this option allows you to have up to nine desktops, but when enabled Win8 does not remember your Theme setting and reverts to the default Daisy.

I didn't use the multi-desktop option so disabling is no loss for me. I did post a message on AMD's forum to see if this is a known bug.

What a challenge to find that one misplaced check mark in among all the settings.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old January 13, 2013, 07:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I re-created myself making a new user in Windows 8 and noticed that Win8 remembered my theme choice when I rebooted. BUT I had not loaded my programs and settings, so I tried adding them and testing as I went. I found the BUG. The Culprit was AMD's Catalyst's "Vision Engine Control Centre" and the Multi-Desktop option that is part of the HydraVision component. When Enabled this option allows you to have up to nine desktops, but when enabled Win8 does not remember your Theme setting and reverts to the default Daisy.

I didn't use the multi-desktop option so disabling is no loss for me. I did post a message on AMD's forum to see if this is a known bug.

What a challenge to find that one misplaced check mark in among all the settings.

Wow!!! Great catch!

Hopefully other folks in the same boat will see this and their troubles will be over.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP