Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 8 Default Theme (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/58635-windows-8-default-theme.html)

fortkentdad December 20, 2012 08:13 AM

Windows 8 Default Theme

Anyone know how to change the default Windows Theme. I have a "my theme" saved with a set of panoramic backgrounds that suits my three screen array, but every time I open Windows 8 the system reverts to the Windows default theme and that dang daisy pops up.

Sure I can right click and personalize, select my theme and I'm back to my nice backgrounds but there must be a way for my theme to be the default theme and not have to reset it every time I turn on Win8.

tethlah December 20, 2012 08:23 AM

Which version do you have?

Give this a shot (just use whatever theme it is you are wanting to use):
How to re-enable the aero lite theme in windows 8? - Super User

fortkentdad December 20, 2012 12:46 PM

I have Windows 8 Pro.

Will try that link out and see if it helps.

fortkentdad December 20, 2012 06:05 PM

That link lets me create yet another theme that I then can select after the Windows default theme opens up. It un-hides a theme called Aero that was the original default theme and was left in the background but was not easily available.

How hard can this be?

tethlah December 21, 2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortkentdad (Post 679290)
That link lets me create yet another theme that I then can select after the Windows default theme opens up. It un-hides a theme called Aero that was the original default theme and was left in the background but was not easily available.

How hard can this be?

Sorry, but I didn't think it was that hard at all. It shows you where you can go to change the setting of the default theme. So if it's not keeping the theme you keep changing it to, change the default setting of the default theme itself so it shows what you want instead. That's why I said just use whatever theme it is you are wanting to use instead.

altereDad December 21, 2012 08:32 AM

Probably driver related? Check the manufacturers for the latest drivers. Could be an issue where they do not properly match up. Else, revert back to the old desktop option and reboot and reset to the version you have created.

fortkentdad January 12, 2013 10:42 PM

Huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by altereDad (Post 679385)
Probably driver related? Check the manufacturers for the latest drivers. Could be an issue where they do not properly match up. Else, revert back to the old desktop option and reboot and reset to the version you have created.

Driver related? Do you mean the Windows 8 drivers?
Match Up? Which drivers do not match up with what?
Revert back? That is the problem. The system automatically reverts back to the default theme every time I reboot. I should not do that. Once I personalize it with a new theme of my making, it is supposed to remember and use that theme.

Still seeking a solution to this simple issue. Is anyone else having this problem or is Windows 8 remembering your chosen theme?

fortkentdad January 13, 2013 10:04 AM

I created a new user for my wife. The system remembers the theme I set for her. It must be something about the way my user profile is set up that is forcing Win8 to reload the Default Daisy. I suppose I could just recreate myself and make a new user and see if and when this problem recurs. I was hoping for an easier fix than that.

fortkentdad January 13, 2013 07:43 PM

SOLVED - AMD Catalyst's Multi-Desktop Option

I re-created myself making a new user in Windows 8 and noticed that Win8 remembered my theme choice when I rebooted. BUT I had not loaded my programs and settings, so I tried adding them and testing as I went. I found the BUG. The Culprit was AMD's Catalyst's "Vision Engine Control Centre" and the Multi-Desktop option that is part of the HydraVision component. When Enabled this option allows you to have up to nine desktops, but when enabled Win8 does not remember your Theme setting and reverts to the default Daisy.

I didn't use the multi-desktop option so disabling is no loss for me. I did post a message on AMD's forum to see if this is a known bug.

What a challenge to find that one misplaced check mark in among all the settings.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...68744401_n.jpg

sswilson January 13, 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortkentdad (Post 684130)
I re-created myself making a new user in Windows 8 and noticed that Win8 remembered my theme choice when I rebooted. BUT I had not loaded my programs and settings, so I tried adding them and testing as I went. I found the BUG. The Culprit was AMD's Catalyst's "Vision Engine Control Centre" and the Multi-Desktop option that is part of the HydraVision component. When Enabled this option allows you to have up to nine desktops, but when enabled Win8 does not remember your Theme setting and reverts to the default Daisy.

I didn't use the multi-desktop option so disabling is no loss for me. I did post a message on AMD's forum to see if this is a known bug.

What a challenge to find that one misplaced check mark in among all the settings.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...68744401_n.jpg

Wow!!! Great catch!

Hopefully other folks in the same boat will see this and their troubles will be over.