LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Linux ubuntu install beside win7

Downloaded the ubuntu 12:10 ISO
Burned the ISO to DVD
Wanted to install beside win7 so had choice on boot up. Then to play with or fold on.
Tried to do an demo run from dvd but eventually get "gpu lockup" screen fragments and basically freezes.
Then tried to roll back Nvidia drivers, and eventually ran no nvidia drivers still get the same msg.
I then tried Fedora. No msg. screen eventually freezes.
Both appear to get to installing a desktop but then fall apart. Freeze up

Should I try clean install only?
Should I try virtual box install?

system
x79 asus sabertooth
i7 3930
16 GB kingston 4 sticks of 4 gb
gtx 580 eVga
win 7 pro 64 bit
256 gb samsung 830 ssd
corsair 600t case

thx in advance

p://www.hardfolding.com/fhtag.php/mem/7984290/26/1.png[/IMG][/url]
Old December 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

clean install usually works. Are you trying to install using the windows tool?
I usually shrink my volume, partition and then install on that partition.
The grub bootloader detects windows just fine.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Desktop | Ubuntu

downloaded this the 64 bit version not the LTS.

Burnt it and tried to install, never got to a prtition window or anything. The desktop would appear then things went south. Not a clean install. But I am trying to put together a dedicated linux box, just haven't got all the parts yet. So I decided to "try" ubuntu from the dvd. Doesn't work. People said its the 580 and newer video drivers, so uninstalled the nvidia drivers. Still freezes up. Msg. "gpu lockup" then goes into "fbcon" messages but they all fail. I agree like windows always best to do clean install, but I haven't a spare blank HDD to do that. Was thinking about virtual box and try it there. Again a noobie at that and was scared off by may write over your HDD if incorrect choices made.

thx

Old December 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

don,t bother with 64bit linux just get 32 bit
Old December 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The cleanest way to install ubuntu and windows to me is to do each on their own drive. I've done the dual boot thing with the grub bootloader and it works well, but I honestly like to have them seperate.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I heard others say just use 32 bit as well. Seems like there are a lot of ideas, but I find it funny that that I can't get the OS to even install. Kind of puts me off using LINUX. Having said that, I will wait till I get the other parts for my build and try it as a stand alone OS/HDD. What is the feeling on 64 vs 32 bit. Stick with the 32 bit? I also was going to try to remove my 580 and use a 450 or 9800 instead. Do you think that will help? It seems GPU lockup is linux not playing well with the GPU. For me I wonder if its using any old drivers I may have on win7...???

Thanks for the feed back!!

Old December 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTech View Post
I heard others say just use 32 bit as well. Seems like there are a lot of ideas, but I find it funny that that I can't get the OS to even install. Kind of puts me off using LINUX. Having said that, I will wait till I get the other parts for my build and try it as a stand alone OS/HDD. What is the feeling on 64 vs 32 bit. Stick with the 32 bit? I also was going to try to remove my 580 and use a 450 or 9800 instead. Do you think that will help? It seems GPU lockup is linux not playing well with the GPU. For me I wonder if its using any old drivers I may have on win7...???

Thanks for the feed back!!
While Linux has 64bit support it lacks support in a lot of other areas like finding software. It's just easier to install 32bit and go from there.

Regards dual booting there is no issues doing this and it works fine. I have done the 2 drive setup in the past and it works well as well and can keep things cleaner and more simpler.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I took all your advice. I unplugged my win7 HDD and put an old 160 GB HDD into the case. Ubuntu installed no problem this time. I also removed the gtx580 and put an old gts450 in as well, just in case. So I now have ubuntu up and running. Thanks. I find it not that intuitive to use and hard to navigate. I installed F@H but cannot see it running. If i go to terminal and type "top" I see it and seems to be using 80% of the cpu. How can I monitor this? I also loaded up several if not many other apps to see temps fans etc. They all appeared to run and install in terminal but I still can't see them. I am a noob at this so bear with me. What am I doing wrong? I can use "sensors" in terminal to get cpu core temps, but not the rest of the info like MB vcore etc. One place makes it sound like you have to make folders insert links modify code etc. If thats the case, I can see why only a small percentage of people use this. I can use mozilla though. yippee.
thanks again it works, not sure what its doing but i have sound video internet.

Old December 16, 2012, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless they changed things around, F@H SMP does not work on 32-bit Linux, so you may have gotten a 32-bit uniprocessor workunit. TOP should actually be reading the percentage of CPU use as # of CPUs * the actual usage, like 200% on a dual core or 400% on a quad. Which F@H client are you using?

There's also a GUI "System Monitor" that comes by default with a Ubuntu install which looks a lot like the task manager - it displays individual core usage.

I also had issues trying to get an nVidia 5xx working on Ubuntu - part of it is that it tries to load the open-source driver which is a disaster on that card: [Phoronix] Nouveau Re-Clocking, NVIDIA vs. Nouveau Drivers

Things work out better if you use the nVidia drivers. (Packages are nvidia-current-updates, nvidia-experimental-304, nvidia-experimental-310 for different versions of the drivers). Also I recommend trying different GUIs through LXDE (package is lubuntu-desktop), KDE (kubuntu-desktop), or Gnome3 (gnome-shell). You can select the GUI to use at the login screen if you have more than one installed.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I loaded ubuntu 64 bit and F@H 64 bit deb amd64. V7. said it installed and I entered all my data as per win7 install. HAHAHA I entered top in terminal and it said 789% I thought that was a factor of 10 so 79.8%. Thats what got me wondering about system performance etc. But I had a 3820 i7 installed and its a 8 core with hyper threading so 798 makes sense now. BUT i can't for life of me find the gui or where it is and where the F@H even got installed. I see the download and extraction files. As for gpu drivers I have done nothing...should i install a newer nvidia driver? To tell you the truth I have no idea which gui/desktop I am using, kde? gnome etc. Do you enter system-monitor in a terminal?

thx