Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 07:38 PM
JoeOnePack's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 237

My System Specs

Default BOOTMGR is missing. Windows 7 Won't Boot From Disk

Hey guys,

I was playing with my HDD settings and now I get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error. I put Windows 7 on a disk, but it won't boot from it. It sais 'press any key to boot from CD', but when I do it just gives me the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error again.

I was having trouble downloading a patch for Farcry 3 saying that I had no space, but had 40gb free. The only partition on my Vertex 3 SSD I changed to 'active'. That is really the only thing I changed. I am assuming this is the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I work from this computer and it would really suck if I couldn't get it working for tomorrow. :(

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
JoeOnePack's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 237

My System Specs

Default

Well a small update. I got the boot cd to load windows, but when I go to repair the system it sais my OS is different than the one on the boot disk. How do I check what version of Windows I have on my PC?

UPDATE: This is the error I get when I try the systemr ecovery options.

'This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows.'

Last edited by JoeOnePack; December 9, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 07:56 PM
dandelioneater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,114

My System Specs

Default

You should be able to put in the windows 7 disk and do a repair scan. It should clean up your issues. Just make sure you are booting from the dvd-drive.

edit1: Something funny is going on here. LOL. You don't know what you are running on your PC atm?

edit2: is your windows dvd an upgrade version? Dunno if that would cause a problem though. Its the same files.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
JoeOnePack's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 237

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
You should be able to put in the windows 7 disk and do a repair scan. It should clean up your issues. Just make sure you are booting from the dvd-drive.

edit1: Something funny is going on here. LOL. You don't know what you are running on your PC atm?

edit2: is your windows dvd an upgrade version? Dunno if that would cause a problem though. Its the same files.
I have no idea which version of Windows 7 I'm running. :D I lost the original disk soon after I installed it. :(

I updated my last post btw with the error message I am receiving.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 08:12 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,645
Default

Crazy question: do you have ANY other drive other than the HDD plugged in? If so, unplug all USB keys, secondary HDDs, USB mass storage, etc.

Alternately, use Hiren's Boot CD to get the system files back.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 08:22 PM
JoeOnePack's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 237

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Crazy question: do you have ANY other drive other than the HDD plugged in? If so, unplug all USB keys, secondary HDDs, USB mass storage, etc.

Alternately, use Hiren's Boot CD to get the system files back.
Nope. All I have is my Vertex 3 and an Asus DVD Drive.

Where do I find Hiren's Boot CD? :D
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 08:32 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,645
Default

Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info

MAKE SURE you read the How To's. If you don't Hiren's can seriously mess up your system too....

The MBR Tools section is a life saver.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
KaptCrunch's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,934
Default

sounds that OS drive not the first booting check your ports and bios to see what is the booting drive
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 09:00 PM
JoeOnePack's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: GTA
Posts: 237

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
sounds that OS drive not the first booting check your ports and bios to see what is the booting drive
I'm in the BIOS now. My Vertex SSD is the 1st boot priority. 2nd being the DVD drive.

I only had one partition on my SSD. It had a 100mb or so reserve. I changed the only partition to 'active' thinking it would do something.

So, that is the only thing I did.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 9, 2012, 09:45 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
I'm in the BIOS now. My Vertex SSD is the 1st boot priority. 2nd being the DVD drive.

I only had one partition on my SSD. It had a 100mb or so reserve. I changed the only partition to 'active' thinking it would do something.

So, that is the only thing I did.
if you did anything to the system reserved partition then you did something you shouldn't have.

g'luck
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I boot windows off a USB flash disk? hen555 O/S's, Drivers & General Software 7 December 30, 2012 06:53 AM
BOOTMGR missing Confetti Troubleshooting 7 September 1, 2012 05:20 PM
"disk boot failure insert system disk" plutomok Troubleshooting 3 May 30, 2010 01:13 PM
Disk Boot Failure - Insert system disk and press enter? lanken123 Troubleshooting 5 May 13, 2009 07:23 AM
Unable to boot from Windows disk, no input from PS2/USB keyboard the_bandit87 Troubleshooting 6 March 1, 2009 12:02 PM