Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2012, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default BOOTMGR is missing. Windows 7 Won't Boot From Disk

Hey guys,

I was playing with my HDD settings and now I get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error. I put Windows 7 on a disk, but it won't boot from it. It sais 'press any key to boot from CD', but when I do it just gives me the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error again.

I was having trouble downloading a patch for Farcry 3 saying that I had no space, but had 40gb free. The only partition on my Vertex 3 SSD I changed to 'active'. That is really the only thing I changed. I am assuming this is the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I work from this computer and it would really suck if I couldn't get it working for tomorrow. :(

Thanks guys!
Old December 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well a small update. I got the boot cd to load windows, but when I go to repair the system it sais my OS is different than the one on the boot disk. How do I check what version of Windows I have on my PC?

UPDATE: This is the error I get when I try the systemr ecovery options.

'This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows.'

Last edited by JoeOnePack; December 9, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to put in the windows 7 disk and do a repair scan. It should clean up your issues. Just make sure you are booting from the dvd-drive.

edit1: Something funny is going on here. LOL. You don't know what you are running on your PC atm?

edit2: is your windows dvd an upgrade version? Dunno if that would cause a problem though. Its the same files.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
You should be able to put in the windows 7 disk and do a repair scan. It should clean up your issues. Just make sure you are booting from the dvd-drive.

edit1: Something funny is going on here. LOL. You don't know what you are running on your PC atm?

edit2: is your windows dvd an upgrade version? Dunno if that would cause a problem though. Its the same files.
I have no idea which version of Windows 7 I'm running. :D I lost the original disk soon after I installed it. :(

I updated my last post btw with the error message I am receiving.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Crazy question: do you have ANY other drive other than the HDD plugged in? If so, unplug all USB keys, secondary HDDs, USB mass storage, etc.

Alternately, use Hiren's Boot CD to get the system files back.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Crazy question: do you have ANY other drive other than the HDD plugged in? If so, unplug all USB keys, secondary HDDs, USB mass storage, etc.

Alternately, use Hiren's Boot CD to get the system files back.
Nope. All I have is my Vertex 3 and an Asus DVD Drive.

Where do I find Hiren's Boot CD? :D
Old December 9, 2012, 08:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD www.hiren.info

MAKE SURE you read the How To's. If you don't Hiren's can seriously mess up your system too....

The MBR Tools section is a life saver.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

sounds that OS drive not the first booting check your ports and bios to see what is the booting drive
Old December 9, 2012, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
sounds that OS drive not the first booting check your ports and bios to see what is the booting drive
I'm in the BIOS now. My Vertex SSD is the 1st boot priority. 2nd being the DVD drive.

I only had one partition on my SSD. It had a 100mb or so reserve. I changed the only partition to 'active' thinking it would do something.

So, that is the only thing I did.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
I'm in the BIOS now. My Vertex SSD is the 1st boot priority. 2nd being the DVD drive.

I only had one partition on my SSD. It had a 100mb or so reserve. I changed the only partition to 'active' thinking it would do something.

So, that is the only thing I did.
if you did anything to the system reserved partition then you did something you shouldn't have.

g'luck