Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You need to get a hold of a proper Windows disk for recovery. If your Windows is 32 bit, you require a 32 bit disk. If 64 bit, you need a 64 bit disk. The recoveries are different, hence the error your are getting when trying to run the system recovery. I know the all-in-one disk I have for work, I have an option to boot into x64 recovery and that is the only way to work with a 64 bit system at all.

With all that said, if you merely changed the active partition on the drive it should be an easy fix with Mini XP in Hiren's. If you damaged the system reserved partition in any way, you're in for a lot of fun and you will need the disk for Windows recovery.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old December 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
if you did anything to the system reserved partition then you did something you shouldn't have.

g'luck
^

um, ya....THAT. alot of people delete that part, but honestly, there's no reason to. Although, I've never actually seen someone mark it as active.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
^

um, ya....THAT. alot of people delete that part, but honestly, there's no reason to. Although, I've never actually seen someone mark it as active.
The thing is, the reserve partition was ALREADY active. I changed the primary part of the partition to 'active'. This is where the problem lies it seems.

I just downloaded another version of Windows Ultimate 64bit and it still gives me the error saying I am using the wrong OS.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Also I tried to download Hiren's CD, but I can't find the place to actually download it. lol... super fail!!!
Old December 10, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

since the image is messed up, have you check the firmware on SSD is up to date ?

this will bring back the reserve but note all data is gone so back-up data before updating SSD

then you have a clean install of windows as now it still see's OS on SSD hidden partition thats why your having trouble installing
Old December 10, 2012, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Joe i forgot to ask was this system a brand name unit (OEM) or home built
Old December 10, 2012, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Joe i forgot to ask was this system a brand name unit (OEM) or home built
I finally got it working. I downloaded a recovery disk and that worked. I fixed the problem.

Now I have another problem. It sais now that my version of Windows is not genuine. How do I fix this now? :D
Old December 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

get all your hardware drivers up to date then register with COE # follow online an your done

Old December 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
MVP

There are plenty of windows activation cracks out there that work just fine. If you own windows then theres no problem in using one. After a recent windows update a few months back I had to do this with 2/3 of my windows boxes. All had legit copies but for some reason after that update(atleast thats what I assume the culprit was) I got the "Not Genuine" error.