Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/58145-list-start-menu-replacements-windows-8-a.html)

Cy-Kill November 27, 2012 10:24 AM

A List Of Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8
 
This was posted all over the place, thought it would be interesting to copy.


FREE

Power8:
power8 - Yet another Start menu replacer for Windows 8 - Google Project Hosting

StartMenu8:
IObit StartMenu8 Free download, Bring Start Menu back to Windows 8

Start Menu X:
Start Menu X

Classic Shell:
Welcome to Classic Shell

Spesoft Windows 8 Start Menu:
Free Windows 7 Start Menu for Windows 8

Taskbar Classic Start Menu:
Taskbar Classic Start Menu

ViStart:
Windows 8 Start Menu, Windows 7 Start Menu

BringBack 8:
The start menu for Windows 8. Back again!

Handy Start Menu:
Handy Start Menu: Makes Working with Your Start Menu Easier

Start Button 8:
Windows 8 Start Button

Pokki:
Windows 8 Start Menu | Pokki

Win8StartButton:
Quadsoft Software Development

Windows 8 Start Menu:
Windows 8 Start Menu Application | Free Business & Enterprise software downloads at SourceForge.net

Tweaks.com Start for Windows 8:
Tweaks.com Start for Windows 8 - Restore Start Button

Start Button for Windows 8:
Restore Your Start Button on Windows 8 - Free and Easy to Use Tool

8StartButton:
8StartButton - A start button + start menu for Windows 8

StartMenuPlus8:
StartMenuPlus8 Advanced Start Menu

Viva Start Menu:
Viva Start Menu for Windows 8 (Official Site)

Win8Starter:
Win8Starter - Copyright by Engelmann Media GmbH

Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8:
Wentutu Start Menu for Windows 8

StartW8:
StartW8 - Start Menu for Windows 8 - Get the Start menu back in Windows 8

Classic Start 8:
http://www.classicstart8.com/

Start Menu Reviver:
Start Menu Reviver

PAID

Start8 (30-day trial):
Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

StartIsBack (30-day trial):
StartIsBack - real start menu in Windows 8

StartFinity:
StartFinity: the missing Start Menu for Windows 8

8StartButton:
8StartButton - A start button + start menu for Windows 8

RetroUI Pro (7-day trial):
RetroUI ? Enhancing Windows 8 and Bringing Back the Start Menu

Win8Starter:
Win8Starter - Copyright by Engelmann Media GmbH

lowfat November 28, 2012 07:23 AM

Wow. All I've tried is Start8, Pokki, and ClassicShell.

ccm001 November 28, 2012 08:50 AM

Wow! With that many popping up and being popular, you'd think MS would take the hint and at least develop their own official app that they could sell.

Raviolissimo November 28, 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccm001 (Post 673971)
Wow! With that many popping up and being popular, you'd think MS would take the hint and at least develop their own official app that they could sell.

they did. but they were so stupid they stopped selling it.

referring to XP, Vista, 7, and 2000 Pro.

JJThomp November 28, 2012 03:54 PM

I don't know why people want their start menu so bad... They really just need to fix a few quirks with the search and it will be fully funcional. Other than that you can still pin items to the task bar for easy access or have desktop icons.

JD November 28, 2012 06:10 PM

Yeah, I installed Pokki but really, I barely use that either. Just like I barely used "Modern UI".

The core apps that I use daily are pinned to my taskbar, Steam/Origin for games, couple desktop shortcuts and that's about it.

sswilson November 28, 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJThomp (Post 674061)
I don't know why people want their start menu so bad... They really just need to fix a few quirks with the search and it will be fully funcional. Other than that you can still pin items to the task bar for easy access or have desktop icons.

We've already been over this many times. I think I've used search once in the last month, and that was to launch the cmd function... it's just not the way I use my PC so taking away my start button in order to force me to try to remember the name of some random program I installed a year ago for opening .tar files just isn't on.

I got a kick out of the blog WRT the metro interface, it was all about making the search function work better for folks who already use it, absolutely nothing for old school folks who use directory trees and have everything on their pc's in order.

It's designed for people who install a few programs / apps, not for those of us who want occasional access to a multitude.

muse108dc December 15, 2012 03:25 AM

Thanks for the list, anyone care to recommend one?

tethlah December 15, 2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse108dc (Post 678132)
Thanks for the list, anyone care to recommend one?

Not going to happen, people are too busy complaining and spilling other win8 hate threads into ones where people are trying to be useful to those who did the migration.

Personally I like to use ObjectDock. I actually got rid of my start menu in windows 7 and started using a dock instead. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot, once you get used to the dock you'll quickly realise how horrible a start menu really is.

My buddy uses start8, and I have a couple of my employees that use retroui, they love it.

Seriously though, give a dock a shot. With some customization you can set it with whatever theme you want to use it with.

ObjectDock - Animated Dock for your Shortcuts and Widgets

Bloodystumps December 15, 2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tethlah (Post 678153)
Not going to happen, people are too busy complaining and spilling other win8 hate threads into ones where people are trying to be useful to those who did the migration.

Personally I like to use ObjectDock. I actually got rid of my start menu in windows 7 and started using a dock instead. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot, once you get used to the dock you'll quickly realise how horrible a start menu really is.

My buddy uses start8, and I have a couple of my employees that use retroui, they love it.

Seriously though, give a dock a shot. With some customization you can set it with whatever theme you want to use it with.

ObjectDock - Animated Dock for your Shortcuts and Widgets

I think you are a little off track in thinking people are raging on every thread about win8 and it is great that some of you are finding ways for other people to make win8 a little more usable for other people but you are hell bent on making people like win8 and or just don't understand the frustration that other people are having with the way it is set up for them .

You like using a tablet interface while many others don't so while you try and convince us we are wrong in thinking metro is unusable and ugly and we rebuttal with why we don't like it you take it as a personal attack which it is not. I think that is why so many threads get side track about win8.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 PM.