Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I thought classic shell was very good. But start8 is also pretty sweet. If I had to chose again ...I probably would go classic as its free. IF MS ever break it via an update....then I would look at start8. Paying for basic OS features just seems...wrong somehow. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 15, 2012, 12:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I just bought Start8 along with Decor8. I'm sure I'll wean myself off needing a classic Start button but until then they are pretty awesome to use for the price of a couple of Starbuck lattes.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I think you are a little off track in thinking people are raging on every thread about win8 and it is great that some of you are finding ways for other people to make win8 a little more usable for other people but you are hell bent on making people like win8 and or just don't understand the frustration that other people are having with the way it is set up for them .

You like using a tablet interface while many others don't so while you try and convince us we are wrong in thinking metro is unusable and ugly and we rebuttal with why we don't like it you take it as a personal attack which it is not. I think that is why so many threads get side track about win8.
Actually I just say that if you don't like it, don't buy it. The last 3 threads made this week were all steered in the win8 sucks bandwagon. Anyway, to avoid flaming this into the wrong direction (as the first couple posts before me), seriously check out that ObjectDock
Old December 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Here is a nice little article on a couple of the main options...with pictures of what they look like. Might help make the decision on how to make win 8 better, easier for peeps.
6 Start Menu Replacements for Windows 8 - How-To Geek

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 15, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

Add Start Menu to Windows 8 Today! NCIX Tech Tips - YouTube

There is a vid Linus posted a couple days ago. Apparently this is a pretty popular method.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
Rookie

The two best, and most popular Start Menu replacements on the list are:

Start8

StartIsBack
Old December 21, 2012, 06:54 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I thought classic shell was very good. But start8 is also pretty sweet. If I had to chose again ...I probably would go classic as its free. IF MS ever break it via an update....then I would look at start8. Paying for basic OS features just seems...wrong somehow. YMMV
I think I prefer Start8 just because I can have a link to Network under the Start button. Classic Shell only has Network Connections. Find it rather annoying but what can I say, I'm cheap. blarg:
Old December 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Here's a weird one: I'm using Splashtop (Best Remote Desktop App | Access Computer from iPad | Splashtop) to connect wirelessly to my W8 computer. Since I'm using W8 to its true nature - touchscreen baby! - it's a pain to change from touch to mouse gestures each time I want to go from the Desktop to the Start Menu.

The issue is that using the touchscreen approach, I can't press in the tight corner and make the Start Menu appear... is there a way to add that Start Menu permanently to the Taskbar?

edit: found a shortcut - swipe from top to bottom will switch from Desktop to Start Menu.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; December 21, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:25 PM
Rookie

I saw that it's been changed into two catagories: Free & Paid. So, I copied the post elsewhere and edited it here.

Last edited by Cy-Kill; January 2, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
Rookie

Found a new one, put it under "FREE":

Start Menu Reviver