Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   new laptop: how to remove nagging Mcaffe & replace with ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/58115-new-laptop-how-remove-nagging-mcaffe-replace.html)

On2wheels November 25, 2012 09:38 PM

new laptop: how to remove nagging Mcaffe & replace with ?
 
Bought a Win8 based laptop for someone who isn't very pc literate. Now the version of Mcaffe on it is nagging to register with a popup. Is it just a straight uninstall and find something like MSSE to install?

I've never bought a new laptop before, I understand there is sometimes alot of bloatware preinstalled on them, but I want to leave some protection on it.

enaberif November 26, 2012 05:31 AM

Instead of making a post why not just try and see what happens then come back if you need real help.

sswilson November 26, 2012 05:54 AM

Search for removal tool similar to the Norton's one came up with several links which probably were the actual mcafee website, but without knowing for sure (domain was slightly different) I trust majorgeeks to have a legit link.....

|MG| McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 6.0.152.0 Download

A straight uninstall might not get an AV cleanly removed so it's best to check for a manufacturer's removal tool prior to attempting to install another AV or you might bugger up the system because of incompatibilities.

SKYMTL November 26, 2012 06:08 AM

In order to properly uninstall McAfee, first disable every one of its services through the Windows Services dialog (not sure what it's called under Win 8). Then use the included McAfee Uninstall Utility and you should be good to go.

Replace it with Microsoft Secutiry Essentials.

On2wheels November 26, 2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 673483)
In order to properly uninstall McAfee, first disable every one of its services through the Windows Services dialog (not sure what it's called under Win 8). Then use the included McAfee Uninstall Utility and you should be good to go.

Replace it with Microsoft Secutiry Essentials.

Thanks for the tip about the removal tool, thats exactly why I made the post, somebody here must have gone thru this at one point.

SKYMTL November 26, 2012 07:25 AM

However, note that some "free" or "trial" versions won't have the utility. You will need to go into Remove Programs, go through that process and then delete the main McAfee folders from the Program Files, Local, etc.

sswilson November 26, 2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 673499)
However, note that some "free" or "trial" versions won't have the utility. You will need to go into Remove Programs, go through that process and then delete the main McAfee folders from the Program Files, Local, etc.

Which is why I posted a link to the stand-alone removal tool. That should work for all versions.

On2wheels November 26, 2012 09:45 AM

Crap, I didn't check that majorgeek site before uninstalling it, so I don't know if I activated the subscription or if it was done, but does that only allow me to use McAfee products until the paid time is up? Is there even any good McAfee products?

The Quicken December 3, 2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On2wheels (Post 673526)
Crap, I didn't check that majorgeek site before uninstalling it, so I don't know if I activated the subscription or if it was done, but does that only allow me to use McAfee products until the paid time is up? Is there even any good McAfee products?

Honestly, if it's brand new it's full of 'bloatware'. Clean install is best IMO.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM.