Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 8 worth it? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/58052-windows-8-worth.html)

Fingercramps November 23, 2012 08:47 AM

Windows 8 worth it?

Due to the massive amounts of post I do not think my question is relevant anymore, but have now decided to change the main question to the title. Continue to discuss and give your opinions/experiences with this new OS and how it compares to others!

enaberif November 23, 2012 08:53 AM

Worth it? Not at all just stick with 7 unless you want headaches. I honestly see 8 being another vista.

xelosia November 23, 2012 03:12 PM

some of dx 11 is available for download for windows 7

bigFOIG November 23, 2012 03:19 PM

I'd stay with Windows 7. Windows 8 is a hassle if you don't have a touchscreen.

Arinoth November 23, 2012 04:55 PM

I just switched/installed Windows 8. It's not all that bad if you get some mods that allows you to avoid Metro like the plague. Definitely faster boot time and it's nice having more native drivers then having to hunt for some of them even with Win 7.

Generic User #2 November 23, 2012 05:27 PM

DO NOT buy Win8 without hands-on experience. It's a great OS, but 99.99% of people (i really don't think this is an exaggeration) can't adapt quickly enough to keep up their workflow.

Take a hands-on look at the new features and see if they are worth it for you to take the time to upgrade and learn new shortcuts (basically, the same thing you should be doing anytime you want to upgrade your OS).

EDIT:

I have win7 and win8 and I haven't had to go back to win7 for over a week now.

botat29 November 23, 2012 05:45 PM

My main problem with 8 was the hot corners, I install "Classic Start Menu" and it disable the hot corner, even is Classic put back a start button, I don't use it, the start page do the job. Windows 8 is very stable, I have it run 24/7 since August 15th without a single crash. Of course the Metro thing is stupid, I don't know why they don't make it run in re sizable floating window instead. No metro apps I try really justify to switch to Windows 8 just to have metro apps . You have to use keyboard shortcut to make Windows 8 friendly to use.

Rockfella November 23, 2012 06:18 PM

Imo it is not worth it. Online mobile freaks like the metro look. For me 7 is good for the time being.

ipaine November 23, 2012 06:29 PM

I don't believe it is worth it either.

One thing I don't see mentioned much but certainly bugs me is the lack of the "aero" interface. Mainly all the windowed programs look like they did back in win98, square with crap coloring. I like my rounded corners and sleek looking transparent boarders. Oh and I still hate the idea of having to install third party software to get something that should be part of the core OS, a proper start menu.

DarKStar November 23, 2012 07:37 PM

I also share the same opinion - Windows 7 looks like a real desktop OS, Windows 8 is horrible in that regards, why shove the mobile/touch screen look down our throats. Big mistake no behalf of Microsoft but it seems the direction they are headed, and away from desktop PCs, so be it. The loading time is faster due to the new loader, it preloads some of win8. As to DX11, I would not worry much about it, won't Win7 receive updates anyways ? Besides, how many games will be DX11, let alone even DX10.

I'm staying with Win7 - No thanks to a touch screen interface on my desktop PC, I bloody hate it.

Besides, win7 is going to be a viable OS for a long time from what I can see. Saying Win8 will be another vista is a bit exaggerated IMO, but nonetheless, mobile and tablet and desktop PC are 2 distint markets, they should NEVER *EVER* be merged, desktop PC interface is one thing, leave the mobile / tablet / touch screen interface where it belongs........Not on my PC, no thank you M$.