Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
See I got rid of the start menu in Win7 and used a dock instead. I've always hated the start menu. So for me it's not a big deal because a menu is a menu is a menu imo. I love using object dock though, it makes things so much quicker for me to not have to navigate through program folders and crap to get to programs, I can just dock em and click when I want to use them.
Yea I used a some kind of leopard dock back when XP came out on my laptop and it was useful as a task bar but for my Win7 Rig I just don't find it handy and I don't use my win8 laptop enough right now and honestly not sure if it is because I find it difficult to use .
Old December 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
Yea I used a some kind of leopard dock back when XP came out on my laptop and it was useful as a task bar but for my Win7 Rig I just don't find it handy and I don't use my win8 laptop enough right now and honestly not sure if it is because I find it difficult to use .
I think it's a comfort thing. It all depends on what you are used to. So many Mac users hate PC because they are not used to it, and vice versa. I use Linux, Mac, and PC; so I'm comfortable with having to adjust my user experience on the fly. Plus being a command line guy I'm pretty much able to adjust whatever I need to in whatever OS I'm using (although sometimes keeping the command straight between multiple platforms and various flavours of linux can become confusing at times, but that's what google is for).

Anyway, once you get used to something it becomes second nature and you will find yourself surprised you ever went without it. In a couple years that's how Win8 users will be with the new UI, and as people reluctantly make the switch, it will be a matter of weeks or less before they were wondering why it was ever a big deal.

The only reason using a dock, using the Modern UI, a start menu, or command line becomes a big deal is because if you don't know any better; then how can you possibly imagine using a new system? Riding a bike doesn't become fun until after get past the whole falling over thing, unless you are on black top, for some reason I never fell over on that stuff, such a tease....blacktop....
Old December 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My major issue with Windows 8 is somehow the "All Apps" Screen needs to be improved. (Right clicking on the start screen and the bottom right)

For people who have many programs installed the screen is very messy. I think the row/column spacing should also be reduced or something, It is so overwhelming.

It kind of reminds me of peoples desktops who have 50 icons on their desktop. That's not organized.

Especially older programs that installed all this junk in the start menu makes it so ugly.

I am concerned for the office place as well as I recently installed 2 new workstations with Windows 8 and although it's been ok I worry about future users who are not as organized. You waste a lot of time cleaning up the start menu after installing about 5-6 applications.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Top Prospect

Well, if this give you an idea of what my Win7 Box looks like, the nice thing with Win8 is I don't have to have that start menu there period (but like I said, I don't like the start menu)

When the Dock isn't out:

When you hover over the Dock:

Old December 20, 2012, 02:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It is a comfort thing for sure and I'm comfortable with command lines, start menus and I have XP, 7 ,8, Linux, Android and IOS devises all running right now and I have used macs I think pretty much all the OS's are about the same when it comes to ease of use.

of course running Linux or a mac for the first time you are going to have a bit of a learning curve like going from a bicycle to a Harley but Windows shouldn't be like learning how to ride a bicycle all over again it's a Operating system and like I said it is more like a patch then a fresh new OS so I shouldn't have to learn it all over again.

The dock is good for some one that has a small amount of programs installed as it is no different then the task bar just a little fancier.

I use the OS to run my programs. I don't install windows just so I can tweak it or have to learn it each time they come out with a new version . It's like a car manufacture all of a sudden moving the steering wheel to the right side or switching the gas and brake pedals.

just a little back ground on me I am no IT guy just a stupid mechanic that likes to learn. I have built and modded my own systems, diagnosed any malfunctions I have had, My system has been under water since the late 90's when I learned what voltage could do to a PC , I've soldered wires to main boards when I was really geeking out even learned a bit of python and some binary code years ago just so I could have a better understanding. so I am not afraid of new just lazy in the way I want to excess my programs . ie, Install windows , install programs , click click click click

or the way win8 wants my laptop to work ie, install windows ,install programs , get frustrated , install program to excess my programs . kinda seems redundant ?
Old December 20, 2012, 02:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

here is my desktop with task bar

with out

Old December 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

Your pics are not showing up. As for what should and should not be, isn't that a bit of an entitlement issue? That's the reason why you pay money or don't pay money for it, because you are not entitled to anything other than an opinion, not the way the product works. As stated before, the great thing about capitalism is you don't have to buy a product, and you don't have to support a company you don't like. I don't fund Starbucks, it's amazing how many people think that's impossible lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
The dock is good for some one that has a small amount of programs installed as it is no different then the task bar just a little fancier.
I don't know if you counted, but I have the entire Adobe suite, Microsoft Office (at least what I use), 4 browsers, every game system (steam, orgin, uplay, and even room for gw2), 2 voips, all my media apps, budgeting software, editing software, my virtual software, and remote tools, and all the os links that are in the start menu, plus a programs folder for anything oddball that only gets used here or there. That's 34 programs and folders. The start menu only held 18 items in it at a time until you had to open up the programs menu (which is all held in my applications folder), and I even have all the links you'll find on the side of your start menu minus the ones I don't care to use (but as you can see I easily have room for more if I really wanted to). So I wouldn't say that a dock is like the taskbar, the task bar augments my dock. The taskbar is my start menu replacement, except I've gotten faster with it than I could be with a start menu (again back to the what you are comfortable with thing) but that still took time.

At least you are willing to admit WHY you dont like windows 8. You point blank said you simply want plug and play and don't want to have to do anything. Most people on here are simply saying M$ needs to simply cater to them without much of a reason as why. At least you are honest about it, in which case I would say sticking with Win7 until we see what the future of windows has in store for us is a wise move.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

If I had a touch screen or needed a lighter os I would make the switch. I wonder if the rumor about xbox 360 games working with W8 will come true? IDK I used W8 for about a month and turffed it. Nothing to complain about really. I just didn't get that "oooo look at this" that I did with xp>vista>W7. I laughed a bit at the Angry Birds name drop in the new W8 ultrabook commercial.

Ps: my first post here. Good to finally be on a Canadian forum XD
Old December 20, 2012, 07:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Brutal lol. Wonder why I got a dp?
Old December 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Query, Is "Ultimate" the only multi license version of 8? IIRC XP Pro allowed multiple installs. Just asking because I have looked for the versions of 8 at various etailers and I can't find an Ultimate version nor do I know how many computers your allowed to install with whatever version.