Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
I feel I should help you with that word, arrogant: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Seems to apply more to someone who expects a company to cater specifically to them over the rest of the market than a company playing with the market to figure out what works so they can cater to the masses. Out of all the stupid shit MS does, I can't say releasing a new OS and trying something new is arrogant.
I'm well aware of the definition, and quite frankly think it applys much better to a company who's obvious "sense of one's own importance or abilities" led it to believe that it could ignore the opinions of a large majority of its beta testers when it came to shipping win8 without a classic mode for desktops than it does to individual consumers who refuse to bend to that vision.

And yes, I used the word majority on purpose. While those of us who hate the metro interface on a desktop PC (I quite like it on my tablet) might not form a majority of the users, it's safe to say that every credible review of the beta process pointed out this issue and thus even the folks who liked the new interface knew that M$ should have offered a true classic mode for desktops which allowed the metro interface to be bypassed completely.

Quote:
All I can say (again), if you don't like it, don't buy it, that'll show em.
It will actually. That's how a free market works in the real world.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 13, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It will actually. That's how a free market works in the real world.
I know, that's why I've said it so many times.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
... You don't get it. Use the new interface as your start menu it has all the same functions. You are right microsoft uses the start menu more and more every version, in W8 they made the start menu the size of your entire screen and jazzed it up with colours and live tiles. They made it more customizable than they ever have before.

If you want your start menu back there are free ones that you don't have to pay for. Which have been referenced earlier in this thread.

Your start menu still exists, you don't need a third party program. If you want a third party program to have your ugly less interesting and more difficult to use start menu back feel free to do it but why would you expect microsoft to take a step backwards?

Stop thinking of the new UI as just a touch interface, it isn't put anything and everything you could want from your start menu there you can link applications, folders and pretty much everything onto it. You don't even need to use the side swipes.

While I understand the start menu is a core function for you, it is not gone and you don't need a third party program.

Just a FYI M$ says it is a touch UI and I quote source

Quote:
Windows 8 throws out design features familiar to Windows users since 1995, swapping in simpler, bolder interfaces designed to be operated using a touch screen. The release of the Surface, a device somewhere between a tablet and laptop, also sees Microsoft break its tradition of leaving the building of hardware to other companies.
I am not saying Win8 is horrible I am just saying it is not a smooth transition for most people or most desktop /laptop users if it was you wouldn't be able to do a google and come up with thousands of hits for people having trouble or how many third party start button programs ?? Win8 start button app
Old December 19, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just bought a new lappy with Win8 on it and I gotta tell ya, the first four hours using it gave me a headache. I am staying objective but this is in no way an intuitive OS. I will give it a good shot but my productivity is really suffering. May have to roll back to Win7.......
Old December 19, 2012, 05:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I just bought a new lappy with Win8 on it and I gotta tell ya, the first four hours using it gave me a headache. I am staying objective but this is in no way an intuitive OS. I will give it a good shot but my productivity is really suffering. May have to roll back to Win7.......
The hardest part will be that "Modern UI". It's the only thing that changed (aside from behind the scenes updates to the OS operations). I've suggested using things like ObjectDock and just staying in DT mode. The new UI is the replacement for the start menu, so if you can't live without the start menu, I would greatly suggest going back to Win7. The operation is exactly the same (other than performance loss that most wont ever notice) and you still get to keep the smaller start menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I am not saying Win8 is horrible I am just saying it is not a smooth transition for most people or most desktop /laptop users if it was you wouldn't be able to do a google and come up with thousands of hits for people having trouble or how many third party start button programs ?? Win8 start button app
And this is the hard part from a business standpoint. How do you transition from the old start menu to the new? The only thing I can think of is rather than naming it Windows 8, that they brand it differently. The only issue with that is that it actually is the same windows, just with another UI added to it. It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

They always could have called it Walls 2012.

Last edited by tethlah; December 19, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am actually starting to get it, will see how it goes.......
Old December 19, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
The hardest part will be that "Modern UI". It's the only thing that changed (aside from behind the scenes updates to the OS operations). I've suggested using things like ObjectDock and just staying in DT mode. The new UI is the replacement for the start menu, so if you can't live without the start menu, I would greatly suggest going back to Win7. The operation is exactly the same (other than performance loss that most wont ever notice) and you still get to keep the smaller start menu.

And this is the hard part from a business standpoint. How do you transition from the old start menu to the new? The only thing I can think of is rather than naming it Windows 8, that they brand it differently. The only issue with that is that it actually is the same windows, just with another UI added to it. It's kind of a damned if you do damned if you don't situation.

Personally I'd vote for either A) "Windows Ain't" or B)Just plain "WINDOW"....as there aint much 'windows' in Win 8.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 19, 2012, 09:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I am actually starting to get it, will see how it goes.......
Atta boy! Gonna have to call this OS "Whine-dows 8" soon!
Fold for team #54196
Old December 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:

Actually it rather simple give the option to the user whether they want or need a touch UI or a desktop UI ..

Your right and I think we all know this is a tidied up version of Windows7 with a touch orientated start menu, something I would expect to get from M$ update not from my retailer for a premium.

and for the record I am not whining about win8 just disappointed that it is difficult for me to easily navigate my programs with out modifying the UI start screen , I guess Windows 7 spoiled us or at least me anyway, I remember tweaking the hell out of the OS from XP back and don't really see a need to tweak Windows 7.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I remember tweaking the hell out of the OS from XP back and don't really see a need to tweak Windows 7.
See I got rid of the start menu in Win7 and used a dock instead. I've always hated the start menu. So for me it's not a big deal because a menu is a menu is a menu imo. I love using object dock though, it makes things so much quicker for me to not have to navigate through program folders and crap to get to programs, I can just dock em and click when I want to use them.