Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly love windows 8 on my gaming tower super simple to use and damn fast.
Have had zero issues finding drivers or playing games on it.

I also love how when I turn it on it shows me quick windows of every update from my work news letter, my 2 emails and multiple sites that I'm on all the time.

Also the media center has not changed thank god since I'm one of those rare people that uses it every day still haha.

Loading time is Nil with it and its just well done despite what some say but that is my own opinion.

It works great with Server 2012 as well and makes my life so much easier cuz Powershell just works with it.
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old December 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
Rookie

What is the fuss? The Start screen is exactly where the Start Button was, in the lower left hand corner. How hard is that to remember? The start screen is bigger, brighter and way easier to navigate and customize than the kludge of start menus, taskbars and desktop icons.

As for the full-screen apps. You can take them or leave them. They are no different from any other application that hijacks a file association, and just as easily fixed. For some things, I like the clean simple full-screen UI. For others, I prefer all the bells and whistles of the corresponding desktop application. Or, I can have both.

I've been playing with the bizarre combination of keyboard, mouse and voice recognition to navigate Windows 8. Sometimes, it is simply faster to use a voice command, e.g., "Start Application", "Desktop", "Close that". The Google app has a Siri-like voice search feature.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
That's pretty much how all "new" revisions go though. When we went to every new version of the OS people got uppity. If all else fails, they will do what they did with Vista and kind of ignore it happened and release something nearly identical that will just be better.

In short, Don't expect the modern UI to go away, Windows said we are changing our OS and that's that.

IF you don't like the new model of a car, go with a different car. Great thing about capitalism, you have options. And learning something new or learning how to adapt is never a bad thing. (Praying for a zombie apocalypse to prove my point lol)

Ummm no. That is NOT how it works. In previous versions you could opt OUT of the new look and feel. It was called classic mode. MS is trying to force this on everyone as they KNOW it is the only hope of doing it. It will fail as zero business will go for it....and if Win 9 is the same...then YES the free market will make a new product to replace MS Windows. Right now there is no option. It is a monopoly.

As for learn a new thing....why should I HAVE to? The new way is not better than the older in fact it is worse. Why would I want to learn to walk on my hands when my feet is a better solution? If the new way was better sure, I would change and adapt but it is not. It is made for TOUCH SCREENS not a kb and mouse. It is a failure and I hope MS loses bilions over their arrogance.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Allstar

^ not likely.

their OEM sales make their off-the-shelf sales look like an accounting error. they honestly care more about long-term corporate contracts than anything else.

has any actually heard about win8 enterprise sales? I think all the reports I read were talking directly about OEMs
Old December 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Ummm no. That is NOT how it works. In previous versions you could opt OUT of the new look and feel. It was called classic mode. MS is trying to force this on everyone as they KNOW it is the only hope of doing it. It will fail as zero business will go for it....and if Win 9 is the same...then YES the free market will make a new product to replace MS Windows. Right now there is no option. It is a monopoly.

As for learn a new thing....why should I HAVE to? The new way is not better than the older in fact it is worse. Why would I want to learn to walk on my hands when my feet is a better solution? If the new way was better sure, I would change and adapt but it is not. It is made for TOUCH SCREENS not a kb and mouse. It is a failure and I hope MS loses bilions over their arrogance.
And arrogance is exactly the right word to use for their position on forcing the metro interface.

What I'll find most interesting is to see what happens to brick/mortar laptop sales now that they've started putting out nothing but win8 units. I know I've told every single person I know that they can still get win7 laptops online if they're so inclined, and so far the great majority of them are so inclined.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

OEM sales are made up mostly of Enterprise sales. Dell...Asus...HP...all prebuilt home computers....all pennies compared to business sales. From what I have heard there is SERIOUS push back against windows 8 in the business environment. Piss THAT group off and the OS is stillborn. THAT is my sincere hope. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
The new interface is stupid for one reason. Open a Pdf, image or any other type of file that it uses one of the new interface apps to display and you get stuck in there. You can't alt tab back to the desktop, .
try "win + D"
Old December 13, 2012, 05:48 AM
Top Prospect

Want to know the beauty of capitalism, and I don't know why I have to keep pointing this out. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I've already said several times that if you don't like it don't use it. I've also said that if you are unwilling to learn a new interface or simply mold something you are using to fit your needs, then stick with what you know.

Problem solved, you don't have to deal with any of what you think is bullshit unless you decide to participate in it. Unless you like drama, then I guess keep it up. As a business owner and having worked as a federal contractor for one of the largest PC manufacturers in the world, I can tell you that there are more people supporting (at least in the demographics I cater to and talk to, which is primarily middle class Americans, tech savvy and not, and business owners) Win8 migration over those who do not. If you don't want to be a part of a new market, then don't be.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
And arrogance is exactly the right word to use for their position on forcing the metro interface.
I feel I should help you with that word, arrogant: Having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

Seems to apply more to someone who expects a company to cater specifically to them over the rest of the market than a company playing with the market to figure out what works so they can cater to the masses. Out of all the stupid shit MS does, I can't say releasing a new OS and trying something new is arrogant.

Quote:
OEM sales are made up mostly of Enterprise sales. Dell...Asus...HP...all prebuilt home computers....all pennies compared to business sales. From what I have heard there is SERIOUS push back against windows 8 in the business environment. Piss THAT group off and the OS is stillborn. THAT is my sincere hope. ;)
I own a business and migrated. However, for the most part this is true. The reason for this is that it can take years to migrate a large scale company to a new operating system. It takes a lot of planning, hell, the Army is only now getting migrated from Vista to Win7. This is very popular in large businesses. I do contracting work for Dell and can tell you that we will not be moving to Win8 anytime soon because first you have to get the support team certified to handle it, then you have to test it, then you have to migrate in house tools over to it, test it on a few people, then plan a migration, then implement the migration. Part of planning includes everything from server integration, legacy process integration, and training. Win8 just rolled out, which means it's not even on the table yet for business to even start thinking about, let alone talking or planning to begin a migration. The only reason I could pull this off is because I only have a dozen or so people to support, "Large" companies have multiple sites tied together by multiple technologies and have to fit the new OS into the puzzle. So it's hard to base the usability of a new OS on the business market, first of all emerging markets don't even get the full OS half the time, and second, a full blown migration isn't the same as selling to an individual.

All I can say (again), if you don't like it, don't buy it, that'll show em.

Last edited by tethlah; December 13, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
try "win + D"
TY!
Now if they could just bother to put a small X in the top corner that I've been using for 20 years that'd be appreciated lol.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:37 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
TY!
Now if they could just bother to put a small X in the top corner that I've been using for 20 years that'd be appreciated lol.
it's too hard to use with a phone or touch screen, Sinofsky ( good think is gone) was to narrow minded to give an option to give a classic menu to mouse owners. It's thinking was " they gone pass over my dead body before I willmake Windows 8 desktop friendly" , lol he is dead now ( not exactly but he his ejected from MS )