Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
See this argument is essentially "I don't like windows 8 because I am stubborn" there is a replacement for the start menu the core function is there in windows 8. If you don't like the way it is implemented you have 3rd party options. It's like me refusing to use Windows 7 because League of Legends doesn't come pre-installed on it, League of Legends is essentially the main function of my computer but that doesn't stop me from installing it.
M$ was told throughout the entire beta testing phase that a significant portion of their consumer base would not use win8 without a start button function, yet M$ went ahead with their vision of a tablet OS being used on desktop PCs.......

Why would folks reward that kind of bad behaviour by a corp?

edit:

As far as it being just sour grapes, I'd be happy to continue using win7, but on top of forcing a tablet interface onto desktops M$ has gone out of their way (from the first step of killing gadget support on win7 in favour of metro apps, to changing licensing on tools from free-for-use to pay-for-use for win7) to ensure that coders no longer have easy access to win7 and thus are directed towards metro apps.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 11, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
M$ was told throughout the entire beta testing phase that a significant portion of their consumer base would not use win8 without a start button function, yet M$ went ahead with their vision of a tablet OS being used on desktop PCs.......

Why would folks reward that kind of bad behaviour by a corp?
Quote:
Just like a previous suggestion by a member to "use the windows button" to get start button fuctionality
The windows button opens up "metro" where you can put all your favourite apps right there on the first page just like you do with the start button. This was not a lie nor was it even deceptive your lack of imagination is what is holding you back not the OS.

Quote:
edit:

As far as it being just sour grapes, I'd be happy to continue using win7, but on top of forcing a tablet interface onto desktops M$ has gone out of their way (from the first step of killing gadget support on win7 in favour of metro apps, to changing licensing on tools from free-for-use to pay-for-use for win7) to ensure that coders no longer have easy access to win7 and thus are directed towards metro apps.
I'll reply to this after my exam.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
See this argument is essentially "I don't like windows 8 because I am stubborn" there is a replacement for the start menu the core function is there in windows 8. If you don't like the way it is implemented you have 3rd party options. It's like me refusing to use Windows 7 because League of Legends doesn't come pre-installed on it, League of Legends is essentially the main function of my computer but that doesn't stop me from installing it.

In short the core function is there if you think it will improve your experience get the third party app.

How does a third party program ( League of Legends) become the same as a basic feature of windows since the start of Windows ?

I wouldn't call it stubborn but more like lack of patience , most people aren't going to keep smashing in keyboard short cuts till something works or buy a app to make windows start ??
Old December 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The windows button opens up "metro" where you can put all your favourite apps right there on the first page just like you do with the start button. This was not a lie nor was it even deceptive your lack of imagination is what is holding you back not the OS.

I'll reply to this after my exam.
Judging by the glut / popularity of start button replacements on the market there must be an awful lot of unimaginative folks out there. That fact alone is all the evidence that M$ should need to know that their vision of a metro enabled desktop is not a hit with a large portion of their customer base.

Sorry, but it should be up to the service provider to react to the wishes of their customer base, not up to the customer base to adjust to the provider's vision.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 11, 2012, 12:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Fwiw, I decided to upgrade from w7 to w8 Pro this past weekend. I wasn't planning on it but when I was in a local store and saw w8 being displayed on all their comps I was impressed. I also have a Windows Phone so was already familiar with the Metro UI. I do not own any computers with touch screens but now know it is not essential to enjoy the new o/s. A mouse with a scrollwheel works just fine sliding the tiles across the display. Honestly there isn't much gain going from w7 to w8. The o/s seems fresher since it's somewhat radically different to the uninitiated and there will be the potential for DX 11.x whenever some game is released supporting it. I first installed it on my newest laptop (Asus G74SX) without a hitch. I liked it so much I decided to buy another copy to throw on my main desktop. Also, the half-price offer until Jan 31 was enough incentive for me to jump in. Plus there's the limited-time free Media Center add-on to get. I figured if I didn't like Win 8 I'd buy them anyway for when the first service pack was released or some other opportunity arose to justify the upgrade. But no need to think about that now because I for one am happy with 8.

Quote:
M$ was...yet M$... M$ has ....
Seeing "M$" made me think I was reading a post from the late 1990's. Lol!
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old December 11, 2012, 12:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Will have to say one nice thing about Win 8.

Decided to throw it on my htpc/server, it is taking up a good 10-15GB less space on a 32GB SSD I use as the OS drive then how much bloated space Win 7 took.
Win 8: 18GB of 29.8GB Free
Win 7: 5GB or 29.8GB Free
Old December 11, 2012, 03:12 PM
MVP

I upgraded for free using the Windows 8 Pro/Media Center loop hole and I have to say I'm impressed by how snappy it is but I hate the new UI. Not sure if it was mentioned already but you can get a free and legit key from Microsoft to upgrade pro to the Media Center edition however it will also activate Windows 8 Pro during install. I believe you can get the key up until the end of February. I won't post links but googling it will find it.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Only reason I can see for myself to upgrade is the improved performance, and price difference. Though I don't really know just how much improvement you would get from Win8.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What the hell, I can network share a drive easier in Win 8 to a Win 7 machine then the other way around, I'm thankful but what the hell?
Old December 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingercramps View Post
Only reason I can see for myself to upgrade is the improved performance, and price difference. Though I don't really know just how much improvement you would get from Win8.
it's going to be different for everybody, I personally LOVE the improved file-transfer dialog and the task manager. They make diagnostic work a breeze (and let's be honest - it looks pretty cool; unlike fruity skeumorphic leather).

as well, I love pinning my 'feeds' apps to the side of the screen. having a live updating, 'low resource usage' app that doesn't clutter my taskbar/system tray is nice.

lastly, the photo app is great, it aggregates all my pictures from everywhere into one place (can't remember if dropbox is included, but i keep my photos with my 25GB skydrive anyways).

people like to think win8 is a 'do or die or die trying' situation. in reality, it's a OS upgrade; if it has benefits you want and it doesn't cost you too much time to modify your workflow, go for it. If it's too expensive in terms of effort, don't bother.