Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
MVP

I think Win8 is good, it's fairly trivial to not use any Metro apps on a desktop.

It's not a huge upgrade over Win7 for desktop use though, similar to the difference between Vista and Win7.

Upgrade when it's convenient, you don't lose much either way.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default One Win8 Users Experience

I upgraded to Windows 8 to break the 16GB RAM ceiling in my Windows 7 Home version rather than pay the bigger bucks to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro ( 8 was cheaper and available at the store). I've since re configured my rig to be a dual boot because of the compatibility problems I had with 80% of my games. Six out of the 8 games I tried would not work in 8. I even went to Codemaster's website to see if there was a way to make their games (Dirt3 & Showdown) work in Win8 but the reply I got from the game's makers is that neither game is supported in Windows 8.

There is a forum I found dedicated to Windows 8 Windows 8 Forums that's been helpful to this hi-tech grandpa. They have one ongoing thread on games that work and games that don't and what you can try to do to make them work.

I gave up, it was easier just to go dual boot and decide if it was playtime (Win7) or worktime (Win8) because MS Office 10 and Adobe Photoshop work well in Win8.

I open Win8 and spend 90% of my time in the desktop section and only venture into the place formerly known as Metro if I absolutely have to. I have not found much use for the apps yet but if I spent some time with it maybe it would grow on me.

One thing really bugs me to no end is that MS has made you choose to either have Internet Explorer 10 your default or not using it at all because it has problems operating if not your default browser ~ MS help says that the solution to this problem is simple ~ make IE10 your default browser. BUT I don't want IE10 to be my default. So it is not and it does not work, I live, Chrome works fine in the Desktop mode.

As a Win8 user I cannot recommend it unless you like to be on the bleeding edge of technological change or have one of those expensive touch screens (like $800??) and I would find it uncomfortable reaching across my desk to touch a big screen.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up I'll say one thing about Windows 8 ...

They found a catchy song for one of their commercials.

New Windows 8 commercial song. [Lenka - Everything At Once] - YouTube

It doesn't make me want to run Windows 8, but it does make me want to download a few albums by Lenka.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canker View Post
They found a catchy song for one of their commercials.

New Windows 8 commercial song. [Lenka - Everything At Once] - YouTube

It doesn't make me want to run Windows 8, but it does make me want to download a few albums by Lenka.
Heh... my wife loves it, I absolutely detest it. Perfect match for my feelings about win8. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there are all0ot of programs and games that I play on windows 7 x64 that totally refuse to run on windows 8, they install fine but refuse to load with out any errors or messages at all. so to me windows 8 isn't worth it. if you have a touch screen device maybe and would like the convenience of the shopping for applications sure it might be worth it foer someone that might not mind possibly being plagued by spam emails from companies the MS sold you info to
Old November 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I upgraded to Windows 8 to break the 16GB RAM ceiling in my Windows 7 Home version rather than pay the bigger bucks to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro ( 8 was cheaper and available at the store). I've since re configured my rig to be a dual boot because of the compatibility problems I had with 80% of my games. Six out of the 8 games I tried would not work in 8. I even went to Codemaster's website to see if there was a way to make their games (Dirt3 & Showdown) work in Win8 but the reply I got from the game's makers is that neither game is supported in Windows 8.

There is a forum I found dedicated to Windows 8 Windows 8 Forums that's been helpful to this hi-tech grandpa. They have one ongoing thread on games that work and games that don't and what you can try to do to make them work.

I gave up, it was easier just to go dual boot and decide if it was playtime (Win7) or worktime (Win8) because MS Office 10 and Adobe Photoshop work well in Win8.

I open Win8 and spend 90% of my time in the desktop section and only venture into the place formerly known as Metro if I absolutely have to. I have not found much use for the apps yet but if I spent some time with it maybe it would grow on me.

One thing really bugs me to no end is that MS has made you choose to either have Internet Explorer 10 your default or not using it at all because it has problems operating if not your default browser ~ MS help says that the solution to this problem is simple ~ make IE10 your default browser. BUT I don't want IE10 to be my default. So it is not and it does not work, I live, Chrome works fine in the Desktop mode.

As a Win8 user I cannot recommend it unless you like to be on the bleeding edge of technological change or have one of those expensive touch screens (like $800??) and I would find it uncomfortable reaching across my desk to touch a big screen.

The problem is you, not the OS.

For example, Dirt 3/Showdown work fine on my systems(yes plural).

Windows 8 isn't super amazing, but it's not the garbage some of you guys seem to want to make it out to be.

In fact, I was impressed at how little compatibility errors I have had with W8 compared to the XP > W7 transition.
Old November 25, 2012, 07:34 PM
Allstar

I wonder if people are hitting problems because they're using upgrade packs.

I got the win8 pro full version and it's running fine and dandy except for one unfortunate network driver bug that seems to affect people with qualcomm atheros chips. My former classmates seem to be loving their free win8 pro installs.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
Allstar

I remove Windows 8 from my PC and install Pinguy 11.04 ( ubuntu moded ) over a year to be piss off everyday after that crap Windows 8 , good thing I have another PC at the side with Windows 7.

off topic: I'm very surprise of Pinguy, I have everything work, including Windows8 in virtual box ( virtual box come install on Pinguy ) and I also have remote desktop to my Server2012 , my sympatico and google apps email was automatically configure by just entering my email address and password in thinderbird . Not bad for a Linux noob.

Last edited by botat29; November 25, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was contemplating Win8 myself as I was an early adopter of vista and 7 without any real issues. After trying it in store... I decided that I will wait and likely get a surface pro with win8 then my next laptop upgrade will be one with a touchscreen and Win8. I don't currently see any reason to upgrade a non touchscreen desktop to Win8.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old November 26, 2012, 06:11 AM
Allstar

I don't know if Nvidia fix the problem, but I got Kernel crash all the time with my 580, even only on the Windows desktop, the problem get away with an old ATI 4650 GPU, but that was eliminating my gaming on this PC