Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Can I boot windows off a USB flash disk?

I have some computers at school running linux and I just cant stand it. Everything runs slow and the computers have Xeon processors...they are made to run autocad software so i assume they have some decent graphics cards.

The thing is I cant install windows on the system because it is the schools... I was thinking, is there a way to run windows off a USB stick so when I go to one of the computers I can just plug the usb in and boot from it?

I dont mind even windows XP (since maybe it uses less space).

How much of space do I need on the usb flash drive?

Also note... the computers have dvd drives... I dont mind burning a boot CD but it has to be Windows.
I have run boot CD's in the past for linux and they are slow because of the cd read speed...thats why I prefer usb i guess.
Old November 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen555 View Post
I have some computers at school running linux and I just cant stand it. Everything runs slow and the computers have Xeon processors...they are made to run autocad software so i assume they have some decent graphics cards.

The thing is I cant install windows on the system because it is the schools... I was thinking, is there a way to run windows off a USB stick so when I go to one of the computers I can just plug the usb in and boot from it?

I dont mind even windows XP (since maybe it uses less space).

How much of space do I need on the usb flash drive?

Also note... the computers have dvd drives... I dont mind burning a boot CD but it has to be Windows.
I have run boot CD's in the past for linux and they are slow because of the cd read speed...thats why I prefer usb i guess.
Download Hirens.. will do everything you need.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
Allstar

If they are running slow under Linux it isn't likely Linux's fault. Either they are very heavily loaded, in which case Windows will likely be even slower, or somebody screwed up. :)

If you can boot those from Optical or USB without a password protected BIOS change the schools systems admin needs to be hung out to dry.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Most schools I've been to that have decent sys admins lock down the USB ports and optical drives so that you can't boot from them without a password. If this school doesn't have them protected, they deserve to burn

Old December 6, 2012, 12:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty sure your school's computers are BIOS locked so you wont be able to tell the computer to boot off anything other than the existing boot drive.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just because they have a Xeon doesn't mean they have to be fast. If they have a Xeon from the Pentium 4 era still counts as nothing, which would explain why they are slow.
Old December 29, 2012, 05:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, even if they aren't locked down, chances are that the IT agreement you would have signed for use of school PCs strictly forbids what you want to do. Could you complete your school term if they removed your computer priviliges?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Portability....
ASUS Eee PC X101CH-EU17-BK N2600 1GB 320G 10.1IN WSVGA 802.11N Win7 Starter Netbook Matte White

Sure it'll cost you, but at what cost by attempting what you intend on. Typically USB and Optical are restricted from start-up. Data is usually logged if someone bypasses this in some form. End-user agreements at the school are signed usually to prevent issues and allow for strict discipline. Ask, is a few hundred for a portable device too much to pay over my education?