Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Can I boot windows off a USB flash disk? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/58014-can-i-boot-windows-off-usb-flash-disk.html)

hen555 November 21, 2012 05:56 PM

Can I boot windows off a USB flash disk?

I have some computers at school running linux and I just cant stand it. Everything runs slow and the computers have Xeon processors...they are made to run autocad software so i assume they have some decent graphics cards.

The thing is I cant install windows on the system because it is the schools... I was thinking, is there a way to run windows off a USB stick so when I go to one of the computers I can just plug the usb in and boot from it?

I dont mind even windows XP (since maybe it uses less space).

How much of space do I need on the usb flash drive?

Also note... the computers have dvd drives... I dont mind burning a boot CD but it has to be Windows.
I have run boot CD's in the past for linux and they are slow because of the cd read speed...thats why I prefer usb i guess.

enaberif November 21, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hen555 (Post 672435)
I have some computers at school running linux and I just cant stand it. Everything runs slow and the computers have Xeon processors...they are made to run autocad software so i assume they have some decent graphics cards.

The thing is I cant install windows on the system because it is the schools... I was thinking, is there a way to run windows off a USB stick so when I go to one of the computers I can just plug the usb in and boot from it?

I dont mind even windows XP (since maybe it uses less space).

How much of space do I need on the usb flash drive?

Also note... the computers have dvd drives... I dont mind burning a boot CD but it has to be Windows.
I have run boot CD's in the past for linux and they are slow because of the cd read speed...thats why I prefer usb i guess.

Download Hirens.. will do everything you need.

NyteOwl November 22, 2012 10:38 AM

If they are running slow under Linux it isn't likely Linux's fault. Either they are very heavily loaded, in which case Windows will likely be even slower, or somebody screwed up. :)

If you can boot those from Optical or USB without a password protected BIOS change the schools systems admin needs to be hung out to dry.

BeaverBender November 22, 2012 10:55 AM

Most schools I've been to that have decent sys admins lock down the USB ports and optical drives so that you can't boot from them without a password. If this school doesn't have them protected, they deserve to burn :ph34r:

bigFOIG December 6, 2012 12:04 AM

Pretty sure your school's computers are BIOS locked so you wont be able to tell the computer to boot off anything other than the existing boot drive.

MARSTG December 29, 2012 05:23 AM

Just because they have a Xeon doesn't mean they have to be fast. If they have a Xeon from the Pentium 4 era still counts as nothing, which would explain why they are slow.

sswilson December 29, 2012 05:57 AM

Yeah, even if they aren't locked down, chances are that the IT agreement you would have signed for use of school PCs strictly forbids what you want to do. Could you complete your school term if they removed your computer priviliges?

altereDad December 30, 2012 06:53 AM

Portability....
ASUS Eee PC X101CH-EU17-BK N2600 1GB 320G 10.1IN WSVGA 802.11N Win7 Starter Netbook Matte White

Sure it'll cost you, but at what cost by attempting what you intend on. Typically USB and Optical are restricted from start-up. Data is usually logged if someone bypasses this in some form. End-user agreements at the school are signed usually to prevent issues and allow for strict discipline. Ask, is a few hundred for a portable device too much to pay over my education?