Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Camtasia Recorder, Disappearing Act - How to Get it Back ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/57903-camtasia-recorder-disappearing-act-how-get-back.html)

Raviolissimo November 15, 2012 06:36 AM

Camtasia Recorder, Disappearing Act - How to Get it Back ?

I am using Camtasia 6, which is about a 2009 vintage. I have the full licensed version, but I moved recently, and haven't found all my CD's in the pile of computer stuff, so I just use a full-function 30 day demo, same Revision.

Anyway, I am trying to do a full-screen capture - which may be my problem. I just realized I've never had a problem doing a partial-screen capture.

So, I start the recorder for a full-screen capture. And then - the Recorder window goes away. When I can't find it, I eventually re-boot.

It leaves this big Humongo file from the capture, which is also un-delete-able.

In Windows, when I open the task manager, Camtasia will show up as one ap under the 'Applications' tab.

The applications tab is handy because it has a "Switch to" feature that allows you to "bring back" the disappeared window.

In the Services tab, Camtasia shows up as 2 separate processes. So I can kill the Recorder process, but the parent Camtasia program continues.

So, basically, I have 2 questions -

1/ How do you 'get back' the Recorder window, after it disappears during a full-screen capture ? I've tried everything on the parent Camtasia program & nothing works.

2/ How do you delete the big files left over from unsuccessful Camtasia sessions ? The computer says it can't delete it, even after reboot.

BeaverBender November 15, 2012 08:53 AM

For deleting the big files, have you already tried changing the attributes? This somewhat depends on your OS version.

Raviolissimo November 17, 2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverBender (Post 671027)
For deleting the big files, have you already tried changing the attributes? This somewhat depends on your OS version.

Using Windows 7 Pro & Vista 32 Ultimate, the 'indigenous' file manager won't work.

I used Agent Ransack 32 on Vista 32 Ultimate to finally get rid of the file. It grew, even when the computer was asleep, and there was no screen activity to be captured, from about 15 GB up to about 150 GB. That system hardware was the Intel XBX motherboard & E6850 CPU.

On the Windows 7 system, I got a 15 GB file from a 40 minute full-screen capture @ 1920 x 1080.

I had to crash out of the 'Capture' (Restart the system) to stop the capture (I may have used "end process" in task manager, I forget). When I re-started I had a 13 GB raw Camtasia (*.camrec) file.

I tried to re-render that at half-size (960 x 540, + an 18 pixel high thing at the bottom, 960 x 558 total) using a laptop with a 3615 quad core (Ivy-Bridge). That is going along, but surprisingly slowly - about 20% of the 40 minute file rendered so far in 24 hours.

So I sort of learned to "Brute Force" my way around, to make it work, but I am left with another question - how on Earth did these video renderings get done in the "Old Days" ? I have a medium amount of fire-power to use now (3930K hex-core + Xeon E5645 hex-core, + the laptop).

It gives me even more admiration for Carl Rosendahl & the founders of the company that became Dreamworks Animation - Pacific Data Images. Since it was started in about 1980 and then sold to Dreamworks in about 2000, PDA did all of their work using machines that people today would consider impossibly slow.

PDA developed the hardware and the software for all video capture & 3D animation, long before hardware like Radius Video Vision and software like 3D Studio Max had functional solutions available for sale.

I know they wrote a lot of their images direct to video-tape, but still, Jesus, it makes me feel spoiled.

BeaverBender November 17, 2012 07:47 AM

Most of the old stuff was done on SGI boxes. I had one of these back in the day and let me tell you, they did a pretty damn good job, but if you were doing work like Pixar, you needed an army of them :biggrin: