Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
Rookie

Default Program on HDD, OS on SSD...

Hey all,

I just finished my new build and installed WIN7 on my SSD. I'll be installing my most used applications on the SSD for speed, but there are a bunch I want to install onto the HDD to save space.

I tried this just now and realized that though the program works, it does not create the executable program files in the normal windows OS places (desktop/start menu/quick launch/etc). In other words, I had to navigate to my D drive, open the program folder, and launch the program from there.

Is there any way to install programs to the HDD (D drive), but have the programs in my start menu on the SSD (C drive)?

Thanks!
Old October 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just right click on the program.exe file then select Send to create shortcut on desktop. thats is the easiest way
Old October 28, 2012, 06:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I just right click on the program.exe file then select Send to create shortcut on desktop. thats is the easiest way
Sweet, thanks!
Old October 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds to me like you installed the programs on the other drive without the OS SSD installed, or are trying to use the programs off of your original OS drive when you upgraded to an SSD. The great majority of programs these days will give you the option to do a custom install which allows you to select the installation location. Aside from installing in a different location, the rest of the install is exactly the same as installing it on your C drive and should therefore be included in your start menu and/or desktop (if the program gives you that option).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Allstar

to be accurate, windows/installers DON'T place the executables in the start menu/any of the places you listed by default. it places them in 'program files' and it places shortcuts in those places you listed.

so, do what shadowmeph said or do as he said, except choose 'pin to start menu' instead of creating a desktop shortcut. or just do both.

ps, is your SSD really that small?
Old October 28, 2012, 06:35 PM
Rookie

I bought a 120GB SSD, but I also partitioned it to do a dual boot with linux. Soooo, it's not *that* small, but I'm just trying to be proactive with saving space. There are certain programs that I don't see any real advantage of having on the SSD, so I'll pop them on the HDD and call it a win in saved space.

I'm actually having trouble getting my dual boot to work, if you can check out my other thread about that. Still not sure what to do exactly...

Thanks for the help.