Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Windows 8 Upgrade

So on my current PC build, I have a copy of Windows 7 installed on my 500gb Seagate Barracuda.
I want to upgrade to Windows 8, but I wanna install it onto my new SDD (Probably gonna pick up a 120GB SSD) Then use my 500GB Seagate and my other 1.5TB for storage/backup.

So I guess what I'm asking is if it is possible for me to do that? Thanks everyone. Im not a wizz on installing Operating systems.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How much data is on your current 500G? If it's under the size of the SSD you're going to buy then you can use seagate's disk wizard to clone from the HDD to the SDD and then format the HDD, transfer the non-OS files over to it from the SSD and then do the "upgrade"(?) on your OS.

Honestly??? Probably just as easy to do a clean install 7 + "upgrade" onto the SSD with the HDD unplugged and then deal with the data afterwards. Either way you're probably going to have to uninstall some programs / games and then do a custom install on them in order to get them on the data HDD.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Allstar

You can use the Pro upgrade download file to make a clean install on your SSD as long as you create the ISO or the USB stick from your old Windows 7, this is perfectly legit

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro From an Upgrade Download
Old October 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
You can use the Pro upgrade download file to make a clean install on your SSD as long as you create the ISO or the USB stick from your old Windows 7, this is perfectly legit

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro From an Upgrade Download
So as long as I download the image from the computer I want to install on, I can buy the upgrade and perform a clean install?

This would be amazing as I'm debating if I should get a full OEM copy or a Upgrade version. Please let me know! I can save money!

Also, can I do clean installs Win8 to Win8 with the Upgrade CD?
Old October 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
Allstar

yes Bojangles to everything, when you download the update, it download a file and then you can choose to create an ISO, a USB stick or upgrade. When you start the upgrade ( direct, from the ISO or USB) it give you the choice to delete partitions and reformat. As long as the Update find an OS compatible with the upgrade ( XP, Vista, 7 ) it will proceed. Some peoples have even upgrade their Consumers Windows 8 with it ( this is against the EULA ) , so yes it will clean install from Windows 8.

Don't get an OEM' I read the EULA , as many debate about it on eightforum , and you can transfer the update to another PC as long as you remove it from the old one, (like a full retail version ) it's simple Microsoft want peoples install 8 in their PC, they seems to be more about number of OS install than money.....
Old October 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
How much data is on your current 500G? If it's under the size of the SSD you're going to buy then you can use seagate's disk wizard to clone from the HDD to the SDD and then format the HDD, transfer the non-OS files over to it from the SSD and then do the "upgrade"(?) on your OS.

Honestly??? Probably just as easy to do a clean install 7 + "upgrade" onto the SSD with the HDD unplugged and then deal with the data afterwards. Either way you're probably going to have to uninstall some programs / games and then do a custom install on them in order to get them on the data HDD.
Thats probably what I'll do, get the SSD, plug in into my computer, remove my seagate500gb, install windows 7 onto the SSD then upgrade.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
it's simple Microsoft want peoples install 8 in their PC, they seems to be more about number of OS install than money.....

It's called viral amrketing, or is that amrketing a virus?
Old October 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
it's simple Microsoft want peoples install 8 in their PC, they seems to be more about number of OS install than money.....

It's called viral marketing, or is that marketing a virus?