Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Can't activate my windows. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/57477-cant-activate-my-windows.html)

aznb3nms October 23, 2012 09:48 PM

Can't activate my windows.

I get this Error Code 0xC004F063, when I'm trying to activate my windows.
After entering my product key, it loads a little, then it gives the Error Code.

The description is the following : The software Licensing Service reported that the computer BIOS is missing a require license?

I don't get it. Someone help me please? :[ What should I do?
I didn't download or anything recently. Just browsing, and youtube.

I simply hate the black background, also also this popup asking me to activate my windows.
I don't mind about the windows update, i don't even update my computer.
Anyways,
I'm not sure what kind of info i should be giving. Feel free to ask.
And also,
Thank you for your time!

EDIT: Oh by the way, this computer is custom made. Here are some parts:
GA-B75M-D3H
RIPJAW RAM 2x4
Core i3 2120
No videocard ( using IGP )

enaberif October 23, 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznb3nms (Post 665640)
I get this Error Code 0xC004F063, when I'm trying to activate my windows.
After entering my product key, it loads a little, then it gives the Error Code.

The description is the following : The software Licensing Service reported that the computer BIOS is missing a require license?

I don't get it. Someone help me please? :[ What should I do?
I didn't download or anything recently. Just browsing, and youtube.

I simply hate the black background, also also this popup asking me to activate my windows.
Anyways,
I'm not sure what kind of info i should be giving. Feel free to ask.
And also,
Thank you for your time!

Where exactly did you get your copy of windows from?

aznb3nms October 23, 2012 09:54 PM

my friend lent me his windows 7 copy.
It's legit, it has the packaging and everything... or rather it looks like it. I'm doubting it now...

EDIT: Not to mention, i used that exact copy on another computer before. Well, my older desktop. And it worked fine. no problem :[ Although it wasn't custom. It was a Dell.
... Am I missing something or did I forget to do something. First time making a computer.

enaberif October 23, 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznb3nms (Post 665642)
my friend lent me his windows 7 copy.
It's legit, it has the packaging and everything... or rather it looks like it. I'm doubting it now...

EDIT: Not to mention, i used that exact copy on another computer before. Well, my older desktop. And it worked fine. no problem :[ Although it wasn't custom. It was a Dell.
... Am I missing something or did I forget to do something. First time making a computer.

Sounds like an issue with the key being in used elsewhere

aznb3nms October 23, 2012 10:33 PM

sigh :[

JD October 24, 2012 04:56 AM

Sounds like that disc+key was designed for Dell.

With Windows 7, there's something called SLIC licensing which requires a certificate on the DVD along with a matching certificate embedded in the BIOS.

You'll have to buy OEM or Retail media from a retailer like NCIX, Newegg, etc.

Though at this point in time, if you don't mind a little change, I'd just buy Windows 8. It was going for $69 last week, but it looks like it's up to $99 this week.

b1lk1 October 24, 2012 04:57 AM

Sounds like an OEM copy that ties itself to that Dell motherboard. Time for a new copy.

EDIT: Looks like JD hit the reply button faster than me.

frontier204 October 24, 2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznb3nms (Post 665640)
Just browsing, and youtube.
(...)

You know generic web browsing + installing no updates means you are vulnerable to drive-by downloads, right? I'll let you enjoy your collection of viruses :whistle:

Oh well, as noted by the others you'll want to get a non-Dell Windows copy. A free alternative for just browsing is a Linux distribution including Ubuntu or Mint - Linux likes Intel IGPs.

NyteOwl October 24, 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 665683)
Though at this point in time, if you don't mind a little change, I'd just buy Windows 8. It was going for $69 last week, but it looks like it's up to $99 this week.

Are those full bare metal isntall copies or upgrade versions for use with Win7 installs?

Shadowmeph October 24, 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontier204 (Post 665767)
You know generic web browsing + installing no updates means you are vulnerable to drive-by downloads, right? I'll let you enjoy your collection of viruses :whistle:

Oh well, as noted by the others you'll want to get a non-Dell Windows copy. A free alternative for just browsing is a Linux distribution including Ubuntu or Mint - Linux likes Intel IGPs.

not necessarily true as long as there is malware and or antivirus scanners and the firewall scripts are updated should be ok. heck I used to use XP without being updated for well over a year never and never got any virus's as long as all the other software is updated then it should be ok. the thing is though you probably will get Nag screens allot.
another thing also is that I don't think that win 7 will be getting any new service packs . you might be able to manually update it from Microsoft via downloading the security updates I just think that the Automatic updates don't work.