Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default has anyone tried this out Chrome OS ?

I have been searching around for the Google Chrome OS because it is supposed to be free opensource so I wanted to download and test it out on my laptop.
the only things I could find is a place where you have to order the hardware which has the OS installed on it or downloading the source code and building it your self. I do not have quite enough tech savvy to build it myself from source without help anyone know of where someone could grab this to try it out?
Old October 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Allstar

I try it in VM and was not enough impress to play more with it. From memory it's not name Google Chrome OS but android 4.0 ICS, or something like that.
Old October 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I try it in VM and was not enough impress to play more with it. From memory it's not name Google Chrome OS but android 4.0 ICS, or something like that.
The Chromium OS and Android are two entirely separate entities. Chromium is intended for netbooks with cloud storage and Android for mobile devices.

To the OP, open source just means the source code is free to use - doesn't mean they have it available for download as an iso. The OS itself is still in a development stage and outside of Chromium branded netbooks it's only meant to be used by developers.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

still would like to test it out I guess I will keep searching lol
Old October 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Allstar

compiling isn't hard. its literally downloading a compiler, finding the file, and then pressing a button. finding where the output file is is actually the hard part lol.

compiling != knowing how to code.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that compiling is fairly easy if you have the know how or the instructions, I used to always compile my own kernels and drivers in Linux but this seems different I started to do it on mylaptop which has Ubuntu installed but am getting errors so I decided that it would probably just be easier to download the OS instead
Old October 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Allstar

Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh

is that what you're looking for?

Chromium OS Developer Guide - The Chromium Projects
also that?
Old October 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh

is that what you're looking for?

[url=http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-guide#TOC-Building-Chromium-OS]Chromium OS Developer Guide - The Chromium Projects[/url]
also that?
the highlited one is the only I kept trying to compile and running into errors . but I will try the top one thanks for links