Changing device latancy and IRQ used?
I would like to ask if anyone know, from where originate the latency setting, that after installing Windows use/set for certain devices. For example a latency setting for PCI NIC card.
If I know where they originate, I can hope I can change them to something reasonable w/o using another program ;) (and I just like to know what is this about...)
Also I'm dying to know, from where the Windows/mainboard get the idea to use IRQ 7 for all the intensive tasks like GFX, SFX and NIC:
And how I can change / edit that. I keep the "Allocate IRQ for USB" enabled in BIOS, but also USB are on IRQ 7...
And I did not see used IRQ numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 and 11.
I know that IRQ 2 are for some "cascade interrupt for IRQ 8-15" (whatever that menas) and IRQ 3 and 4 are mostly for COM 2 and COM 1 respectively, but I did not use either, so I can find a better usage for these IRQs.
But most importantly, the IRQ 5 is typically used by soundcard and I would like it to be used JUST for that! So, how?!
IRQ 7 is typically for parallel port, but when disabled it seems that all the hardware end up there... :(
Yet it still leave the IRQ 10 and 11 free to be used by GFX card and NIC card respectively, witch will leave on IRQ 7 the USB controller.
( IRQ Numbers - Webopedia.com )
Now all that sounds good, but how I can re-arrange these IRQs?
(Windows 2000 SP4, JetWay V266B, AXP 150x12.5, 1024MB 2-2-2-5 ram, Realtek RTL8183(A) PCI NIC card, AGP GF2MX400 graphic card)
The reasons are that my computer almost freeze when there is small video on www, that play music as well as load NIC card and copy on USB drive:
After lowering the NIC massive latency the system seems okay when come to latency stuff, sadly only on iddle:
DPC Latency Checker
When I just play a small video on www, then things go way, way wrong:
...and if you set to delete (just deleting only causes THAT! No actuall file transfer!) files on USB drive, then here you go:
Obviously I just blame these IRQ settings that all fire up on IRQ 7... when these devices are used, things get obviously wrong. When copying files to USB drive, I could wait sometimes like a half second to something happen when I click on icon... When the app start up, then all is relatively good, but the USB (1) copy speed are very small also (sometimes under 300k, when at iddle machine (no music, no web, no nothing) get at 1, 121MB/sec...)
Obviously a change is need. AXP is slow, but NOT THAT slow. Current HW: Jetway V266B (VIA KT266A), Barton 2800+ @ 2200+ (150x12.5) 1.625Vcore, 1024MB DDRAM 2-2-2-5, 200G Seagate 8MB cache (ST3200822A), GF2 MX400 32MB 175/265, 17" BenQ FP75G 1280x1024 75Hz, DVDRW NEC DV-4551A, ATA133 IDE drawer, floppy with 7+1 USB2 reader Mitsumi FA404, OkiPage 14ex laser printer, NetGear fireWall/WiFi 54MBi WGR614
Changing irq assignments is probably not gonna do squat. That system needs to be buried.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.|