Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/57339-take-away-metro-ui-win-8-winner.html)

crazyea October 17, 2012 10:25 AM

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

I dislike the Metro UI in place of the start menu, plus I dont care for th apps at all. I am getting used to it though, only time will tell if I will actually begin to like/prefer it. also, having trouble finding things I used to find easily is annoying. Google is my friend!

- I like the search. It works great.
- I think the parent control changes are very good.
- The Task Manager is fantastic.
- It's snappy, and I'm running it on a P4 3.2 system with onboard graphics, a laptop HD and 2 GB of Ram.
- It boots very quickly.

Perineum October 17, 2012 10:44 AM

Why they keep changing things locations all the time boggles my mind.

It does not make it easier for anyone.

crazyea October 17, 2012 10:50 AM

I dont mind some change. Some of this feels like they had multiple teams, none of which were speaking to each other.

They should have marketed the metro ui + apps as a stand alone product to the desktop market, but included it in the tablet os.

Lpfan4ever October 17, 2012 11:06 AM

Latest update to Start8 looks wicked. Still refuse to use Win8 though.

Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

Bloodystumps October 17, 2012 11:29 AM

$5 bucks to have it work like it did or should LOL

I see no reason to abandon win 7 so I`ll wait for 9 or 10 but by then I should have no need for a pc since gaming has gone console

sswilson October 17, 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever (Post 663354)
Latest update to Start8 looks wicked. Still refuse to use Win8 though.

Start8 for Windows® 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodystumps (Post 663360)
$5 bucks to have it work like it did or should LOL

I see no reason to abandon win 7 so I`ll wait for 9 or 10 but by then I should have no need for a pc since gaming has gone console

yeah, I will not be going back to the bad old days of having to pay extra for a third party app in order to be able to do basic functions in a reasonable fashion.

It'll be interesting to see how they report sales, I'm betting it'll all be OEM driven, and include the "free" upgrade to win8 they'll be paying people to take.

chrisk October 17, 2012 02:51 PM

I liked Win8 as well, except for Metro.

I'll pay the money for the OS and a start menu app if it works better than Win 7. As much as it annoys me that MS is forcing Metro on upgraders, I am not about to leave a good OS on the table out of principle alone.

crazyea October 17, 2012 03:07 PM

I cant even justify a start menu app. I just remove all of the stuff I dont like and populate the start page with programs I use. All other can be accessed using the start page + right click + all apps. Beyond that search.

Win shortcuts as well.

Windows key - Start Menu
Win + c - Sidebar
Win + w - Search "settings"
Win + f - Search "files"
Win + q - Search "apps/programs"
Win + x - Admin tools

Mena October 17, 2012 04:43 PM

NCIX FORUMS - Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winn...

Why did you post the same thread on two forums? LOL!!!

I must agree though. When a family member showed me Windows 8 I tried it for a month to try to get used to it. I hated it.....until he showed me StartX. Now it is somewhat usable.

Seriously what is Microsoft thinking.....or were they NOT thinking?

muse108dc October 17, 2012 04:56 PM

Eh, for the most part Win7 does all those things for me without having to buy a new OS. I doubt theres actually enough for there apart from metro to justify a new OS, only fairly minor things were changed really in regards to the actual Windows part of the OS.

I admit that it is metro that I hate and dislike. Everything is wrapped up in that mostly. The closing of the platform, the forcing touch onto pcs and laptops, the loss of star menu, etc.

edit: Just so I'm clear, I am disagreeing with you, I dont think even without metro Win8 would be worth the upgrade.