Old October 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what do you mean by ugly?
Old October 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

maybe he is referring to the Linux kernel its self, I think most distros of Linux can be made to look fantastic but irregardless of esthetics it performs very well so who cares if its "ugly"
Old October 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I've tried KDE, Gnome, Xfce, and have been unable to make any of them not be ugly compared to either Windows or Mac OS.
Try harder
Old October 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
what do you mean by ugly?
The UI looks bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Try harder
I've got better stuff to do with my time. If I need Linux I stick to the command line, if I need a *nix GUI that doesn't look bad, I use Mac OS.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Allstar

You can make pretty much any *nix GUI look the way you want. I've even seen both KDE and XFCE made to look like MacOS (even Windows) so until you started to work with it you wouldn't know the difference.

More correctly, it isn't ugly, you just don't liek teh default appearance and lack the patience to make it look the way you want it to. Big difference.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
You can make pretty much any *nix GUI look the way you want. I've even seen both KDE and XFCE made to look like MacOS (even Windows) so until you started to work with it you wouldn't know the difference.

More correctly, it isn't ugly, you just don't liek teh default appearance and lack the patience to make it look the way you want it to. Big difference.
Precisely and which is a large reason why windows will continue to dominate the desktop. Until the Linux communication ty makes it more accessible to making things look better people don't want to spend hours tweaking something... It takes a person like myself to want to.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
MVP

Quote:

I've never seen any Linux appearance I like. Even the fonts render poorly and look bad.

I get paid for the work I do on computers, I'm not going to work for nothing to fix the Linux UI when the alternatives are already better.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
People will often buy something more expensive out of exasperation and on a whim. Consider this:

John walks in to Best Buy, is not technically savvy and just wants something easy to use. Using a PC of some kind over the last 20 years, just started to get comfortable with his Windows XP machine that he just bought in 2003, and wonders why it is so slow since he only uses 4 smiley IE toolbars.

Walks up to all these new machines running Windows 8, and is now confused even more since it all looks different. Asks the salesperson "what about these Apple computers I see commercials about?" Sales associate takes him over to a Mac, and John is back to being more comfortable in the desktop environment. Sees the sticker price, walks back to the Win 8 machine, gets frustrated, and decides to get the Mac cause he is tired of thinking about this. Salesperson is happy that they made a sale for a more expensive machine too.

Obviously over-simplified, but the combination of effective advertising, frustration with Metro/familiarity with a desktop environment, and salespeople who might push towards an easy sale will drive folks towards Macs more often.
Imagine the same scenario in a futureshop, where the salespeople get a commission! They will push people towards macs to make the extra $$, and Win8 may help them make the Mac sale.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
Imagine the same scenario in a futureshop, where the salespeople get a commission! They will push people towards macs to make the extra $$, and Win8 may help them make the Mac sale.
Hmm that'd work if Futureshop actually sold the very expensive Mac which they don't. Actually I think touch-enabled Windows desktop products and Macs are equally overpriced right now...

$800 (no monitor) Apple Mac Mini Intel Core i5 Computer (MC816LL/A) - English : Mac mini - Future Shop
$1200 (is a monitor) HP Envy 3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3330S 23" Touchscreen All-In-One Desktop Computer (23-D039) : All-in-One Computers - Future Shop

Maybe if you're talking about the Retina Macbook at ~$2000?

That said, if someone crams an AMD A4 into a Windows 8 tablet, I'm buying it. I need an upgrade from my Acer A100 that chokes on Wiki pages
Old October 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Allstar

why $ 800 a mini mac a future shop ? , it's $ 600 on apple store