Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2012, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

I don't see why they would remove the tiles since it better matches with Xbox and Windows phone.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
We suggested such when we left the store. I told the guy that he might have meant the stardock Win7 software skin but he insisted that MS informed him. I told him there might be a good opportunity for Staples to add a 'Win7 skin' package for the low low price of $50 installed lol.

Gotta sell those machines....will be interesting to see how retail handles the Win8 complaints.
Just like Vista, the great majority of folks buying PCs at the big box stores won't know the difference and so FS, BB, Staples, etc... will sell nothing but win8 machines. Unfortunately, this time around, the interface is not intuitive on a desktop and (IMO) the frustration this will cause amongst those who don't know to check online (if they could find a way to access the i'net... :) ) for tips / techniques stands a good chance of doing real damage to the desktop PC market.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 26, 2012, 03:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll wait for 9 or 10. But by then microsoft will completely invade our ass. they've started with 8 already..
Old October 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Just like Vista, the great majority of folks buying PCs at the big box stores won't know the difference and so FS, BB, Staples, etc... will sell nothing but win8 machines. Unfortunately, this time around, the interface is not intuitive on a desktop and (IMO) the frustration this will cause amongst those who don't know to check online (if they could find a way to access the i'net... :) ) for tips / techniques stands a good chance of doing real damage to the desktop PC market.
Or folks will buy more Macs.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Or folks will buy more Macs.
I'm not sure if the average joe who buys a $600 pre-built from wallymart is going to be willing to shell out the cash required for a mac. More than likely they're going to decide that the browser on their Xbox / media device is all that they use so why even bother with a desktop PC that doesn't do what they need anywise.

Seriously, how many average home users actually use their printer? If you're not printing, and the only games you play are java / facebook then what do you need a desktop PC for? Bringing home a win8 desktop with its non-intuitive interface will drive that point home.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 26, 2012, 05:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm not sure if the average joe who buys a $600 pre-built from wallymart is going to be willing to shell out the cash required for a mac. More than likely they're going to decide that the browser on their Xbox / media device is all that they use so why even bother with a desktop PC that doesn't do what they need anywise.

Seriously, how many average home users actually use their printer? If you're not printing, and the only games you play are java / facebook then what do you need a desktop PC for? Bringing home a win8 desktop with its non-intuitive interface will drive that point home.
People will often buy something more expensive out of exasperation and on a whim. Consider this:

John walks in to Best Buy, is not technically savvy and just wants something easy to use. Using a PC of some kind over the last 20 years, just started to get comfortable with his Windows XP machine that he just bought in 2003, and wonders why it is so slow since he only uses 4 smiley IE toolbars.

Walks up to all these new machines running Windows 8, and is now confused even more since it all looks different. Asks the salesperson "what about these Apple computers I see commercials about?" Sales associate takes him over to a Mac, and John is back to being more comfortable in the desktop environment. Sees the sticker price, walks back to the Win 8 machine, gets frustrated, and decides to get the Mac cause he is tired of thinking about this. Salesperson is happy that they made a sale for a more expensive machine too.

Obviously over-simplified, but the combination of effective advertising, frustration with Metro/familiarity with a desktop environment, and salespeople who might push towards an easy sale will drive folks towards Macs more often. Just the other day a colleague of mine asked what computer he should buy, and I told him to get a Win 7 machine asap and gave him suggestions. He then asked me if Apple was planning on changing Macs in the same way. This is what got me thinking.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 26, 2012, 05:22 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

They can get a Mac Mini for $599... my bet is Apple will sell a fair number of these at that price for the average joe user.

Old October 26, 2012, 05:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That is a scary thought ChrisK....and probably correct. Hopefully if that comes to pass mfg'ers will see a dip in sales and push MS to bring back a Windows 8 "desktop edition". Wouldnt take much to make win8 actually good...just some tweaking.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 26, 2012, 05:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, provided there's enough money to do it, that is a scenario which could play out quite a bit over the next few months. I know they wouldn't care to comment because they'd be afraid of damaging their relationship with M$, but I'd really like to be a fly on the wall in some of the OEM board meetings when the subject of win8 comes up. :)

edit: And I agree with AkG, there are some things to like about the core of win8 if we could be given a way to get rid of the metro interface all together for desktop use.

Old October 26, 2012, 06:58 AM
Allstar

Apple marketing is too wise to get in this, they understand they customers and they make a product their customer like too. Steven Sinofsky simply fall on the head, he never recover of it, for him peoples will have to adapt to his idea and live with it, actually he is so out of the reality and in his own bubble that he even try to look like Steve Jobs , look at the pic attach this guy is completely disconnect from the reality

The major problem Windows 8, is that f you don't know what will open and where, this is very confusing. The Control panel is divide in 2, a part in the traditional one and the rest in the charm menu. You click on a tile on the start page, sometime it open a Metro Crap apps, other time it return to the desktop and open something there, many peoples will say " where the F... I am. " The majority of members here can work around without too much problem, but the typical user is not member here..... Desktop edition is the only way to get back in the reality, but the problem, they even included Metro Crap in their servers editions, all true I simply love Server 2012 essential