Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Arinoth, it will be a good idea to install Windows 8 a spare drive, just in case, this is what I did, and at least once a day, I'm thinking to put back my Windows 7 .....but I have invest a lot of time, so I continue
Well I'm at the point of nuke and pave, so it's not like I'm just upgrading, need a clean slate, it's been a while.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well I'm at the point of nuke and pave, so it's not like I'm just upgrading, need a clean slate, it's been a while.
We will welcome you back when you say how much you hate it and want 7 back.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just nuked and installed 8 on my Laptop because I wanted to see what all the giggles are about...... GAWD damn I tell you this is very frustrating albeit it is a interesting concept .

I think if metro was an option or a task bar button it would have been more excepted but having it rammed down my throat makes me want to fire my laptop out the door.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I just nuked and installed 8 on my Laptop because I wanted to see what all the giggles are about...... GAWD damn I tell you this is very frustrating albeit it is a interesting concept .

I think if metro was an option or a task bar button it would have been more excepted but having it rammed down my throat makes me want to fire my laptop out the door.
In fairness to M$, having Metro as an option on Desktop PCs would have probably meant zero (or very close) adoption rate. I don't agree with their "one OS to rule them all" plan, but if they wanted to go with it then having Metro as a skin wouldn't work.

I'm curious if the coders over at Microsoft dread making every second version knowing it's not going to go well....... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 15, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
In fairness to M$, having Metro as an option on Desktop PCs would have probably meant zero (or very close) adoption rate.
... you mean vs the level of adoption rate they have now? zero?

As people used Win8 more on phones and desktops they might just accept it as normal on the desktop.... by all means make it default to have metro on, but let it be disabled via control panel, right?
Old November 15, 2012, 06:21 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Go for it, the best way to learn 8 is to use it for daily work. The more I use it, the less I dislike it, I can say that I even start to like it, still they have to fix the anoyances
Old November 18, 2012, 02:07 PM
Rookie

M$ is unable to admit that Windows XP & Windows Vista were good enough.

Of course, XP & Vista needed security updates - but those updates never required a somewhat new interface in the form of Windows 7, or an attempted completely new interface in the form of Windows 8.

A web search for "Windows 7 file manager" - to understand how badly blew Windows 7.

Of course there is also the issue of software compatibility. I have $20K+ invested in aps - all of them compatible with XP & Vista. The key ap, Autodesk 3D Studio Max Rev. 9, is not compatible with any version of Windows 7. 3D Max Rev. 9 runs rings around 3D Max 2013.

What is the reason I am expected to buy new aps, to be compatible with Windows 7 & 8 ? To keep Microsoft in business ? To keep Adobe & Autodesk in business ?

If Windows 7 was part of a interface design student's Master's Thesis - to iterate the Windows OS, while maintaining good file management and software compatibility - at most colleges, the student would not receive the Master's Thesis.

Windows 7 was the first part of M$'s Hari-Kari process - the part where they stick a knife into their gut.

Windows 8 is part 2 - the part where they make a sharp upward cut.

Microsoft is basically committing suicide, because they are unable to admit that they did a Good Enough job with Windows circa 2003 & 2007.

Saying that Windows 8 is good if you remove the primary skin is like saying Angelina Jolie would look good without her skin, like those wierd "Plasticized" human body anatomy exhibits from Germany -

(Apologies if this offends anyone, if so please let me know & I will just put in the image URL.)

I have about 25 M$ OS licenses total - and I am working hard to learn aps that run on Linux. The incentive - Windows 7 lack of program compatibility with superior revisions of various CAD programs. "XP Compatibility" mode is very hit & miss. Couple that with the dysfunctional file manager, and they might as well have sent a telegram to all their customers telling them to find a different OS.

I can appreciate M$ wanting to initiate an OS that helped them catch up to Apple in the mobile devices market. But to force a new OS on their industrial users - people who just use Windows because it runs the aps they need to make a living - that is the kind of drive-your-company-over-a-cliff bad decision that ends up being a case study at business schools. A case study of how NOT to make money.

I've been averaging $500 a year on M$ OS for many years now. That slowed down in 2011 because I bought a new home and just concentrated on re-installing existing systems. Then in 2012 M$ got $160 from me for 7 Pro - OK, well, they split the proceeds with Newegg.

These are the future revenues -
2013 through 2020 - Zero - EXCEPT when I buy a hex-core laptop. I will of course be looking for a laptop vendor that sells Windows 7 & Vista compatible laptops.

So Microsoft has produced a step function DOWNWARD in revenues from long-term customers by fvcking up their OS more - and calling it a new revision.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

There is now speculation that the Start Menu will return:
Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8?
Fold for team #54196
Old November 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviolissimo View Post
M$ is unable to admit that Windows XP & Windows Vista were good enough.
This totally disproves ANY thing you said.

While XP was a good OS Vista was not.. it was a turd.. just like ME.. ask anyone in the industry they will tell you the same exact thing.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are good versions of Windows and 8 could be good but it has to get rid of the damn Metro UI.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My question is, does Windows 8 optimize a SSD hard drive. without having to manually tweak everything?