Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mass storage disappeared when Google put out ICS.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Mass storage disappeared when Google put out ICS.
Again.. no it did not! My stock SG2 X had mass storage as does my girlfriends phone. It exists.. but by default MTP is turned on.
Old November 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Isn't this thread titled "Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner."?

I had a chance today to play around with Win 8. I don't like the metro UI - it doesn't seem very intuitive for a desktop. I think others in this thread are right - MS will probably lose sales in the PC market because of this interface.

I think I'll put it on my older PC (amd dual core) and try it with and without a start bar add-on.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:17 PM
MVP

Who would MS lose sales to?
Old November 13, 2012, 03:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Apple? Redhat (or whatever the latest paid/supported version of Linux is called)?

Quite frankly, the great majority of business PC functions could be easily be carried out by Linux. If they've got a major learning debt to pay, why not invest it in something free / significantly less expensive?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
Allstar

Guy , just wait , Balmer fire Sinofsky, ( well they say differently but we know, surface don't sell well ) so they get the message, my bet, Windows 8 will have a shorter life than ME
Old November 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I still haven't made up my mind when I need to nuke and pave, whether to move to Win 8 or to stick with Win 7.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Allstar

Arinoth, it will be a good idea to install Windows 8 a spare drive, just in case, this is what I did, and at least once a day, I'm thinking to put back my Windows 7 .....but I have invest a lot of time, so I continue
Old November 13, 2012, 08:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Guy , just wait , Balmer fire Sinofsky, ( well they say differently but we know, surface don't sell well ) so they get the message, my bet, Windows 8 will have a shorter life than ME
Well it's long been rumored that Blue comes out in mid-2013, so that's really unrelated to the the quality of Windows 8 (which MS is never going to backtrack on) or the departure of Sinofsky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Apple? Redhat (or whatever the latest paid/supported version of Linux is called)?

Quite frankly, the great majority of business PC functions could be easily be carried out by Linux. If they've got a major learning debt to pay, why not invest it in something free / significantly less expensive?
I'm really not seeing it, the average Windows 7 user is going to struggle far more with Linux Mint than they are with Windows 8.

Not even touching enterprise management capabilities, the lack of MS Office in Linux alone makes it a non-starter for most businesses.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I have used Windows 8 now on both an older pen style touch screen machine and a newer desktop, and with both the experience is not good. Yes I believe that it will work well with the new tablets out there and that is where this OS should be staying.

I have been using these little things called computers for damn near 30 years, starting way back programing little games in basic on the vic 20, on to the tandy 1000 (I think that was the model), then 286, 386DX, 486 and onto the Pentium days with a little side trip into the AMD camp for a spell. This meant going from Dos, Dos 5 with the shell (had my own icons/shortcuts well before most), then added windows 3.11 with workgroups to the mix, then on to the real change of win 95, win98 se, windows xp, brief stop with vista, and then to windows 7. Now the common theme with every single upgrade in both hardware and software, was that I was getting something better. Learning something new was never a problem, as long as I could see that it would benefit me in the long run. This is why Windows 8 is not something I would want to upgrade to. I just can't see it as a step forward at all, if anything it is a step backwards, a whole lot of learning curve with no return. Maybe if they gave us the start menu and allowed the metro apps to run in windows then maybe I could see myself using it but until then I just won't be using it.

That's my 2 cents.