LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2012, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A little more about it here:

How to Add a Start Menu to Windows 8
Old November 2, 2012, 06:50 PM
Allstar

I was reading an article on TechRepublic today. It seems from some survey results about 74% of all enterprise respondents have no plans to move to Win8. Most see it it as potentially worthwhile for phones and tablets but ranging from inappropriate to unusable on the desktop. Might be rough road ahead for MS if they drop the ball with corporate.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I was reading an article on TechRepublic today. It seems from some survey results about 74% of all enterprise respondents have no plans to move to Win8. Most see it it as potentially worthwhile for phones and tablets but ranging from inappropriate to unusable on the desktop. Might be rough road ahead for MS if they drop the ball with corporate.

Considering that most corporate accounts are either still working on converting to win7, or have just recently converted, I doubt MS expects too many to adopt it anywise.

The real fly in their ointment will be how well their new enterprise server software is received if it (as reported) sports the same metro interface.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 2, 2012, 07:09 PM
Allstar

I remember have read somewhere that Windows 8 will be the last OS call Windows , I know they work in parallel on some other type of OS, I can't remember the name.

Lol 3 members on EightForum just post their DVD key don't work on their Windows 8 they just purchase, 1 from Egg , 2 from Amazon........

Last edited by botat29; November 2, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thumbs down Internet Explorer MUST BE DEFAULT?

I upgraded to WIndows 8 Pro in order to break the 16 GB RAM limit in Windows 7 Home Edition. And that worked.

For the most part Windows 8 is OK - takes some getting used to and frankly I spend 95% of my time in the Desktop view. Yep I miss START - but I live. I'll have to find out how to list all programs in Desktop but I'm still learning.

I encountered a problem, Internet Explorer 10 stopped working. It tires to open and gives the error that
Internet Exploer has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. And it closes it, and immediately reopens it, closes and opens etc etc. Task Manager to break the loop.

So I check on MS Forums to see what to do. MAKE IE your default browser. Well that works - sort of. It works in the Metro view, but not in Desktop. That is sad that IE Must be Default to work. A little bit of MS is Boss thinking there.

All the solutions they suggested could not get IE operational again in Desktop. I broke it.

Interesting it works OK when my wife logs in under her user name. So it has to be a setting. But I did go to the "reset IE" to all defaults including removing all personalizations and add ins.

SO - since I want a browser in desktop, and since I prefer Chrome to IE I guess IE gets deleted from the start and unpinned from the taskbar.

Frankly I am not eager to learn how to use the IE 10 Browser in Metro - it just isn't intuitive. Took me a while to learn how to close it for pity sakes.

I still have not figured out how to get my IL2 Sturmovik to work in Win8 - but X-Plane does work. (although I had to temporarily disable dual graphics to get it to load - but once installed it will run in dual-graphics mode. Now all I have to do is learn to fly without crash landing. The Dogfighter flight game I had trouble with earlier worked fine after I tried to install IL2 - I think it was because IL2 updated DirectX 10. I wonder if it is a Steam thing or a Windows 8 thing that keeps that program from working. Anyone finding problems with Win8 and Steam Games? Or maybe it is my pitifully slow internet connection that prevents me from running a Steam game??? Never had a Steam game before - and at this rate won't get another one - not knowingly anyway.

Sigh
Old November 5, 2012, 06:02 AM
Allstar

Why switch to windows 8...why

CHEERS
Old November 5, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
I upgraded to WIndows 8 Pro in order to break the 16 GB RAM limit in Windows 7 Home Edition. And that worked.

For the most part Windows 8 is OK - takes some getting used to and frankly I spend 95% of my time in the Desktop view. Yep I miss START - but I live. I'll have to find out how to list all programs in Desktop but I'm still learning.

I encountered a problem, Internet Explorer 10 stopped working. It tires to open and gives the error that
Internet Exploer has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. And it closes it, and immediately reopens it, closes and opens etc etc. Task Manager to break the loop.

So I check on MS Forums to see what to do. MAKE IE your default browser. Well that works - sort of. It works in the Metro view, but not in Desktop. That is sad that IE Must be Default to work. A little bit of MS is Boss thinking there.

All the solutions they suggested could not get IE operational again in Desktop. I broke it.

Interesting it works OK when my wife logs in under her user name. So it has to be a setting. But I did go to the "reset IE" to all defaults including removing all personalizations and add ins.

SO - since I want a browser in desktop, and since I prefer Chrome to IE I guess IE gets deleted from the start and unpinned from the taskbar. The

Frankly I am not eager to learn how to use the IE 10 Browser in Metro - it just isn't intuitive. Took me a while to learn how to close it for pity sakes.

I still have not figured out how to get my IL2 Sturmovik to work in Win8 - but X-Plane does work. (although I had to temporarily disable dual graphics to get it to load - but once installed it will run in dual-graphics mode. Now all I have to do is learn to fly without crash landing. The Dogfighter flight game I had trouble with earlier worked fine after I tried to install IL2 - I think it was because IL2 updated DirectX 10. I wonder if it is a Steam thing or a Windows 8 thing that keeps that program from working. Anyone finding problems with Win8 and Steam Games? Or maybe it is my pitifully slow internet connection that prevents me from running a Steam game??? Never had a Steam game before - and at this rate won't get another one - not knowingly anyway.

Sigh
This makes absolutely no sense... You really need more than 16gb of ram? And if you do why would you waste money and time on 8. Just upgrade to 7 Pro and be done with it.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:24 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
This makes absolutely no sense... You really need more than 16gb of ram? And if you do why would you waste money and time on 8. Just upgrade to 7 Pro and be done with it.
Probably the $ 39 Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer have something to do with it. Some peoples even find a glitch to get it for $ 15 ( not working anymore) Aside some peoples like changing.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.... just in case anybody with win7 is feeling left out.......

IObit WinMetro Free download, Bring Window 8 Metro UI to Your Desktop

Was going to try it but the reviews aren't all that promising. I guess I will sit on the sidelines and sit this one out.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I've got 16GB on my work computer, and am constantly pushing 90% usage and needing to close programs to not run out of memory... it's not too hard if you've got the right (or wrong, depending on your POV) usage.