Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hold down Shift when clicking Restart. Then you'll get the advanced boot options.

They did this because using the F8 interrupt added additional time to the startup sequence which they didnt' want to do. Likewise, now that Windows 8 boots so fast, it's damn near impossible to hammer F8 fast enough to get it to recognize.

Came across this today, [APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs. - xda-developers, which may help some people. This way you can make your own tiles with high-res images.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Allstar

JD this is good if Windows work, but if yo have a problem and Windows don't start, you hold the shift key and press F8, that will bring to the same menu, and after many sub menu it will reboot and give you choice of save mode, not quite friendly.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Has anyone taken the task manager from 8 and tried to drop it into 7 and see what happens?
I tried it out. Nothing conventional would make it work.

So I was in BB the other day and saw win 8 pro for 70 bucks and thought "why not".

I'm going to reserve judgment on this for now... but I'm really quite confused. I honestly don't know who microsoft is targeting with this OS.

When I turn on my computer its because I want to "do" something. and that "something" is not "play with my os" As a matter of fact... I want my os to be invisible. a tool that I use to do other things. Win 8 is like a 12 year old girl going "look at me! over here, here! here I say, looook heeeeerrrrrrrr!..!@#@$!!!!@111!!!111!!123"

Maybe theres a way around it, but why tf should I have to click 6 effing times and log out of my user just to turn the effing thing off? I want to be able to do more... with LESS, this thing is the exact opposite.

I don't get the games... they are totally broken. Show of hands, how many of us play mine sweeper or solitare when we're supposed to be doing something else, ready to flip the screen the moment anyone gets near enough to tell we're screwing the pooch? *waves emphatically* can't do that with metro... not so far as I can tell anyway... or run it in a small window while monitoring something else. Hell, in my line of work ALL my gaming is done in windowed mode... just in case I need to switch quick lol.

Win 8 is fast to load.... says who? not on my pc and my pc is AWESOME. Ok, let me clarify. I'm dual booting of course and by the time win 8 boot loader is done loading, win 7 would have been signing me in. Sure, when I choose "win 8" Its instantly ready to log me in, but why load all of win 8 before giving me a choice NOT to log in to win 8??? Then if i actually choose win 7, the retarded thing completely reboots my computer, wasting all the time it already used and boots to windows 7 without even giving me a chance to change my mind... wtf?

This OS is all over the map. HOPEFULLY a good stepping stone to another place... like win 9... but we'll have to see I guess.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old October 30, 2012, 05:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
JD this is good if Windows work, but if yo have a problem and Windows don't start, you hold the shift key and press F8, that will bring to the same menu, and after many sub menu it will reboot and give you choice of save mode, not quite friendly.
If Windows isn't booting, it should automatically take you to the recovery screen. If it doesn't, then it's likely beyond repair anyways.
Old October 30, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Win 8 is like a 12 year old girl going "look at me! over here, here! here I say, looook heeeeerrrrrrrr!..!@#@$!!!!@111!!!111!!123"
That is one of the best descriptions I have seen for Win 8 yet.

Old October 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hopped onto my MSDNAA account last night and grabbed the ISO and my key. I'll be giving W8 a wing shortly!
Old October 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
I tried it out. Nothing conventional would make it work.

So I was in BB the other day and saw win 8 pro for 70 bucks and thought "why not".

I'm going to reserve judgment on this for now... but I'm really quite confused. I honestly don't know who microsoft is targeting with this OS.

When I turn on my computer its because I want to "do" something. and that "something" is not "play with my os" As a matter of fact... I want my os to be invisible. a tool that I use to do other things. Win 8 is like a 12 year old girl going "look at me! over here, here! here I say, looook heeeeerrrrrrrr!..!@#@$!!!!@111!!!111!!123"

Maybe theres a way around it, but why tf should I have to click 6 effing times and log out of my user just to turn the effing thing off? I want to be able to do more... with LESS, this thing is the exact opposite.

I don't get the games... they are totally broken. Show of hands, how many of us play mine sweeper or solitare when we're supposed to be doing something else, ready to flip the screen the moment anyone gets near enough to tell we're screwing the pooch? *waves emphatically* can't do that with metro... not so far as I can tell anyway... or run it in a small window while monitoring something else. Hell, in my line of work ALL my gaming is done in windowed mode... just in case I need to switch quick lol.

Win 8 is fast to load.... says who? not on my pc and my pc is AWESOME. Ok, let me clarify. I'm dual booting of course and by the time win 8 boot loader is done loading, win 7 would have been signing me in. Sure, when I choose "win 8" Its instantly ready to log me in, but why load all of win 8 before giving me a choice NOT to log in to win 8??? Then if i actually choose win 7, the retarded thing completely reboots my computer, wasting all the time it already used and boots to windows 7 without even giving me a chance to change my mind... wtf?

This OS is all over the map. HOPEFULLY a good stepping stone to another place... like win 9... but we'll have to see I guess.
Can't agree more with the Windows 8 dual booting. It's darn bad. It's kinda true tho that the O/S is not transparent enough. I've been using it for a while on my laptop, and I end up way too much on that metro thing, even when I try not to.

+ How comes it takes 15 secondes to start a damn Spider Solitaire game when you could do it in ~1-2 secondes on Win7?

That metro thing is either clean looking and you can easily find the little stuff you put in there or it becomes a complete mess with what would normally be in the start menu.

I really like the small improvements beside a few -badly- annoying things.
Old October 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Whoever likes Windows 8 is a giant tart and needs to have their heads examined by multiple therapists and other psycho-analysis techniques for suicidal or tendencies to self-inflict pain.

By gods, What a joke. The UI is a giant cluster**** of a mess. Metro. I won't go there. Scrolling is a joke. Why doesn't the window scroll all the time when my mouse is at the edge of the screen? I don't want to use a scrollbar to see more information each time. Speaking of more information, I mean not even a status bar or something? What if I wanted to know the time in a flash? I have to go to the bottom left corner and lift my mouse up slightly to engage the charms bar, or Win+C? eff that. messaging notifications disappear? wtf? If I walk away on a fullscreen webpage for a moment and someone messages me, I won't find out until I go to the start menu. Uh... No. Okay so, take away Metro? You have an ugly a$$ desktop to deal with. It looks like Windows 95. Solid coloured low contrast titlebars? Really? Okay fine.. Let's use this thing for a bit. Oh. my first Windows Update failed? ... .. Why was I updating in the first place? Well, my USB External HDD would not show its volumes, yet the device was recognized and installed successfully, and the device manager could see the volumes and sizes if you populated it. Nothing in the File Explorer. I throweth in my hat.

All this in two hours. I don't give a rat's a$$ about the performance advantages or the amazing new features, the usability of this OS is utterly disgusting. I'll wait for SP1 - that fixed Vista, at least, but for this, I'm not hopeful.

Last edited by LarkStarr; October 31, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 07:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I put win8 on my laptop which has vista (I skipped win7). I like win7 on my desktop, but, on my laptop, vista is so slow that I really have no choice. So, I have been using win8 on it since summer, and bought the upgrade a week ago. So far I like it. I even start to like metro before I discovered that I can have the traditional start button (like win7) installed. So, now I am basically running like win7. This new win8 start button is not too well advertized and it is a free download from MS. I stumbled on it from TTRumors. I also like the new IE.
One thing is that win8 never complains that I do not have anti-virus software installed. Does it mean I really do not need anti-virus software?
Old November 2, 2012, 07:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I put win8 on my laptop which has vista (I skipped win7). I like win7 on my desktop, but, on my laptop, vista is so slow that I really have no choice. So, I have been using win8 on it since summer, and bought the upgrade a week ago. So far I like it. I even start to like metro before I discovered that I can have the traditional start button (like win7) installed. So, now I am basically running like win7. This new win8 start button is not too well advertized and it is a free download from MS. I stumbled on it from TTRumors. I also like the new IE.
One thing is that win8 never complains that I do not have anti-virus software installed. Does it mean I really do not need anti-virus software?
Do you have a link on MS for that? I'm doing a search and so far have come up empty for MS branded start button replacements.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP