Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

I just went a round with Windows 8, and boy, am I terribly disappointed. There's such a disparity between the Metro UI and the 'desktop' that it's not possible to mix usage of both, which is a shame. Notifications do not remain constantly on the desktop, for example, after the bubble disappears. Integration with Skype (among others, I'm guessing) is equally as bad.. Any WLM messages I receive I get in double, somehow, from Skype as well. Wtf? I also mostly despise the fullscreen apps. I'm too used to some sort of status bar for everything I suppose.

This UI needs some serious, serious work on the PC. I don't know how it is on Tablets and Phones, I'd imagine Metro is way more suited to that as was said before, but for PC.. I'll be waiting a while before I fully switch over I believe.

However, under the hood and even on the VM, 8 was fluid and snappy, quick to boot. I'm open to new UI's, but they have to make sense and work well. This to me is just confusing and doesn't feel thought out or polished.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Allstar

It's easy to see that Windows 8 was build for the Surface Pro. Metro + desktop applications. MS was too stupid to make a Desktop version, with Metro as an option that will run in a window, Don't forget we have also the Metro in server versions.

Windows 8 is a love and hate, I can't believe someone can't simply love it. But i learn to work with it, but I still find it dam stupid.
Old October 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just found this if any of you guys are running Win8 it might help you out, Top 10 secret features in win8

and here is god mode
Old October 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
and here is god mode
very nice finding , very nice
Old October 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
very nice finding , very nice
Thanks, I am ok with short cuts but having it all in one place and being able to click is great
Old October 29, 2012, 03:47 PM

My System Specs

Windows + X is a smaller, cleaner, lighter version of god mode, sorta. Definitely one of the more awesome features they added. You can even customize it to a degree, albeit it is a bit of work.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:48 PM
Allstar

8 most often complain about Windows 8

1: difficult to access safe mode. ( I don't even know how to boot in safe mode)
2: impossible to recover from the new "black screen of Death"
3: no media player its now an extra and at a cost!!!!
4: all games etc that used to be included you have to get from the New store.
5: no start menu from the desktop. Users will not get used to this, it is ludicrous on a desktop pc.The search all apps just gives you every exe on the machine in no logical order.
6: Start menu functionality can be restored only by buying third party apps.
7: no Aero, ok aero should have been updated but not to the same standard as windows 98. Progress it is a joke!
8: the only way to reinstall and maintain your applications is to use a system restore (which you cant after the black screen of death) or to reimage your disk.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
8 most often complain about Windows 8

1: difficult to access safe mode. ( I don't even know how to boot in safe mode) - Is it not still F8?
2: impossible to recover from the new "black screen of Death" - Okay.....
3: no media player its now an extra and at a cost!!!! - Then get a free and BETTER player! VLC FTW!!!!!
4: all games etc that used to be included you have to get from the New store. - As long as they are free who cares?
5: no start menu from the desktop. Users will not get used to this, it is ludicrous on a desktop pc.The search all apps just gives you every exe on the machine in no logical order. - Start8
6: Start menu functionality can be restored only by buying third party apps. - True....but for how long?
7: no Aero, ok aero should have been updated but not to the same standard as windows 98. Progress it is a joke! - This I agree with. The new pastel colors look AWFUL.
8: the only way to reinstall and maintain your applications is to use a system restore (which you cant after the black screen of death) or to reimage your disk.
Responses are in Bold.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old October 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
I just found this if any of you guys are running Win8 it might help you out, Top 10 secret features in win8
.....which does not work at this moment.

Quote:
connect to upstream server timedout

Host: lifehacker.com
Url: /5955287/top-10-secret-features-in-windows-8

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old October 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Responses are in Bold.

Please note that's not my 8 complains, but I will reply to few of you comments,

No the F8 don't work , and I don't like some of the alternative

As for Start8, I refuse to install it as it mess up the hot corner

I need MC for connect to my Xbox

the game are may be free , but you need a Microsoft account , and not everyone like it,

I personally don't dislike the colors