Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Windows 8 Pro at $ 69 .... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/57336-windows-8-pro-69-a.html)

botat29 October 17, 2012 06:22 AM

Windows 8 Pro at $ 69 ....

Well I don't put it in the hot deal because it's not..... Amazon offer Windows 8 pro at $ 69 on pre-order, that show Microsoft is not confident with is new OS.

Amazon.ca: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

Arinoth October 17, 2012 06:43 AM

That or they finally realized how over-priced they keep placing their new OSes at.

BlueByte October 17, 2012 06:51 AM

Or that the models have changed, the OS used to drive the sales now its the services and programs(more then just office). Apple sells their OS upgrades for what around $40ish? so this is not out of the park, actually its still on the high end of the pricing model by today's standards.

I actually would assume this is introductory pricing since MS likes that these days. for 3 months it will be cheap, and then after that it will go back up. kind of like windows 8 and media center, it will be free upgrade for pro users until sometime in the new year and then after that it will be $10.

Babrbarossa October 17, 2012 05:22 PM

It's an intro upgrade price apparently - will likely go up. In the long run, they're keeping price lower by not including dvd software and charging for windows media player (although free with upgrade deal I understand)

botat29 October 17, 2012 05:40 PM

or it will stay at that price or go down if the sales are not that good.

Mars October 17, 2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 663268)
Well I don't put it in the hot deal because it's not..... Amazon offer Windows 8 pro at $ 69 on pre-order, that show Microsoft is not confident with is new OS.

Amazon.ca: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

There's nothing to indicate it has anything to do with Microsoft's confidence in the OS.

Upgrade installs have always been an incredibly small minority of total OS installs for Windows, MS is looking at getting more people to upgrade to Win8 than usually upgrade their OS, as well as responding to Apple's upgrade pricing.

Dave510 October 17, 2012 07:29 PM

The aggressive pricing is likely due to Microsoft's overall strategy. They know for the general population, mobile devices like phones and tablets are quickly replacing PCs, and they want to take a piece of the mobile pie. However, getting people to just go out and buy a phone or tablet with the Windows 8 interface isn't easy if they don't find the device intuitive, so what better way to promote this new interface and get people to use it than to force it down the throats of millions of Windows users? They've done it with Internet Explorer by making it "free" with Windows, now they're going to try it again.

Snarl October 28, 2012 06:56 AM

I just did the $39.00 Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Microsoft over my Windows 7 HP Install, paid an extra few bucks for the DVD so it came to around $55.00, seemed like a pretty good upgrade price for a change.

Install went great

Now windows 8 is another matter :)

Bloodystumps October 28, 2012 07:46 AM

They have a windowsupgradeoffer if you have a new PC since June can get you a copy for $15 not a bad deal either

botat29 October 28, 2012 08:46 AM

and the $ 39.00 is good for XP service pack 3 and Vista. You can even make a fresh install with it as long as you don't use anymore the old OS you are updating from ( for be in good therm with the EULA )