Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2012, 07:52 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just like Apple, Microsoft is slowly moving their desktop OS strategy towards the model of handheld devices, until they ultimately have an integrated offering... Whether that more closely resembles the current desktop OS model or a handheld implementation remains to be seen.

Old October 28, 2012, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

$14.99 Upgrade version if you bought a windows 7 pc since june. honor system for authentication ;)

Windows Upgrade Offer - Landing Page
Old October 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... they sure as hell seem to be doing damn near everything but outright paying people to try it..... :)

If they had drivers for my acer tablet I'd give it a try but last time I checked it was a no-go, and response from tech support query pretty much boiled down to "it's a windows 7 device"

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i put it on my 3 year old laptop that i rarely use.

i know we all complain whenever something new comes out that forces to change but, why they are forcing non-tablet users to use the modern ui, i have no idea. it's utterly useless.

not bad once you get rid of the metro. seems like a refresh of windows 7.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Apple sells their OS upgrades for what around $40ish?
that's because Windows is a better OS.

ps,

this has nothing to do with fanboyism (I'm disregarding the fact is OS X is horrible). Windows simply offers more compatibility with software and hardware than ANY OS out there (especially OS X). you pay a little bit extra for more options; that's a pretty common theme among all industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerogue View Post
i put it on my 3 year old laptop that i rarely use.

i know we all complain whenever something new comes out that forces to change but, why they are forcing non-tablet users to use the modern ui, i have no idea. it's utterly useless.

not bad once you get rid of the metro. seems like a refresh of windows 7.
the reason they're forcing desktop users to use metro is that....they're not. getting rid of metro is simple as clicking on the 'desktop tile'. the exception to this is the start menu; honestly, just close your eyes and type the name of the program you want (although I'm told alot of users don't know about the search bar in win7 start menu).

personally, the reason I want to upgrade is simply because of the cloud integration it features and the desktop improvements (they're small, but I'll still take them).

I would also [preliminarily] recommend win8 for new computer users (provided they're willing to invest in AIO touch-capable hardware) because 'touch' seems to be wayyyy less intimidating to new users than a 'keyboard and mouse.' I still haven't shown win8 to anyone computer illiterate yet, but based on how those same people are able to use iphones and androids with much less frustration, I think it should turn out right.

EDIT: is NO ONE interested in storage spaces at all???? I mean, I don't expect this feature to be mentioned in software/gaming forums. But I figure someone must have been interested in useing win8 for a file server or something rather.

Last edited by Generic User #2; October 28, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
Allstar

I have never seen so much rampant fanboyism on forums as I have over Win 8. It's more sickening than Apple zealots.
Old October 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What you call fanboyism...I call AstroTurfing. MS has a lot of money to buy a lot of guerrilla marketing.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I have never seen so much rampant fanboyism on forums as I have over Win 8. It's more sickening than Apple zealots.
My laptop is a Macbook Pro which runs Mac OS exclusively, and I use Linux on a daily basis for work, so thinking that Win8 is better than Win7 is hardly fanboyism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
EDIT: is NO ONE interested in storage spaces at all???? I mean, I don't expect this feature to be mentioned in software/gaming forums. But I figure someone must have been interested in useing win8 for a file server or something rather.
I was interested in storage spaces, but it actually looks kind of useless compared to other software RAID solutions available. :(

Storage Spaces explained: a great feature, when it works | Ars Technica
Windows 8 Storage Spaces: Bugs and Design Flaws | Helge Klein | Home of SetACL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
What you call fanboyism...I call AstroTurfing. MS has a lot of money to buy a lot of guerrilla marketing.
I don't make any money from MS, my day job is an iOS developer. :p
Old October 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, was not talking about you Mars. The things on this forum are pretty tame to some of the bollocks that is going on others. I mean some peeps are so bound and determined to defend MS' honour you wouldnt know if it was their GF or something people were insulting. Some HAS to be astroturfing. No sane person...even a fanboy would be so adamant about the 'wonders' of an OS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I bought the $69 upgrade disk from Staples on Friday night - really expected a big display announcing it had arrived I bought it on the first day of sales for the new OS - but no, you had to ask for it and it was in the back. It is running on my new A10 rig and after a snafu with dual graphics that took me forever to locate the problem, I'm back up running well in Windows 8 Pro. I have a very slow rural satellite internet connection, would have take a very long time to download. And I'm not sure I could have downloaded WIndows 8 Pro as I did not have Windows 7 Pro - but the upgrade disk worked fine.