Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Allstar

Default CHKDSK and SSDs

system: MBP 13" 2010 running Windows 7 in BootCamp
SSD: Vertex 3

a couple of nights ago, while watching a youtube video, my system froze and started making BIOS beeps like mad. I hard-restarted and the system immediately jumped into CHKDSK run. After running the scan for a very scary 3 hours, the final report stated '0 bad sectors.'

...so....what does that actually mean? for an HDD, that would be an all-clear (after doing a backup), but for an SSD? does CHKDSK actually handle SSDs properly?
Old October 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure if there is a black and white answer for this. If your system takes a dump and forces you to run it then ok, but usually you don't need too. AFAIK CHKDSK finds and fixes filesystem errors so it should find them on the ssd and I can't see it hurting it. I googled this a bit, but there wasn't really a definitive answer: CHKDSK on SSD? - AnandTech Forums
Old October 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I've had it happen a time or two. Usually for whatever reason the 'dirty bit' get set in the MBR and chkdsk is set to run on reboot to make sure its not a big problem (and makes the rig reboot immediately in extreme cases). Last time it happened it was from an bad offset (just to show how long ago its been). Ran a fixmbr, presto strangeo SSD chugged along for ages (IIRC over 16mths) with no problems....before taking a dump (blown controller). Probably not related...BUT if it happens a second time....time to talk to the mfg'er.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
Allstar

um...is fixmbr a specific program?

Do you recommend I do anything at this point?
Old October 17, 2012, 04:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

fixmbr is only runnable during the Windows Recovery "setup" from the command line.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a common occurance. Could just be some incompatibility between Windows and Bootcamp.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had similar problem with ozc ssd , chkdsk wanted to run on every reboot, and always no issues if I let it run. I went into registry to disable it but the drive started causing me other headaches and tossed it for an Intel 520 120G drive. PC has been running smooth and fast ever since.