Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
Rookie

Default New Build: Windows 8 or W7 now and W8 Later?!? . . .

I am putting together the final components for my new computer I am hoping to build in the next week. Really, my last big question is, what Windows OS to use?!?

I have been following threads and reviews and found relatively few people posting anything particularly favorable about W8 and the few that have still have some issues and concerns.

Hoping MS would not repeat the disaster that was Vista, hope springs eternal that W8 will be stable and an improvement . . . but then again many may have been thinking the same thing just before Vista came out with memories of Windows ME still fresh in their minds.

For those that have used and/or are familiar with W8 . . . would you recommend holdong off the build and waiting until the end of the month and then installing W8?

While I could install W7 and then later upgrade ($15), I may be a bit compulsive but I always do a clean install when I upgrade my OS (prefer a clean slate). I kind of hate to install all my programs and files etc. only to have to go back and re-do everything . . . would be easier of course to just set everything up from the start . . . but maybe W7 and later W8 is the thing to do. At a bit of a loss on this one.

Would really appreciate hearing your thoughts--best to go W7 now and then later W8 or just wait and install W8 from the start at the end of the month?!? Thanks!!

Last edited by Questtt3; October 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old October 4, 2012, 10:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen absolutely NOTHING to suggest that you should wait for Windows 8. I think it's going to be as big a fail as Vista was, and the only way MS is going to move units is by selling it to OEM's. The enthusiast market will stay away.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

EDIT 2: Well I reverted back to 7... New Build: Windows 8 or W7 now and W8 Later?!? . . .

See "My System Specs" - I've been poking at Windows 8 since Customer Preview, attended a Windows 8 info session to find what the new interface is all about, and now I run Windows 8 on my main computer for the fun of it. So far I've written a report on Windows 8 using the Office 2013 preview, gamed on it with Guild Wars 2, and did a pile of Internet surfing with it. I've also toyed around with its backup features and Bitlocker.

For a keyboard and mouse experience, stay with Windows 7. There's nothing on it for the desktop that would make it better than Windows 7, at least nothing that you'd want to spend money or delay a build over. Gaming is about the same, productivity after learning how the new UI works is about the same, and I'm avoiding the use of any of the "Store" a.k.a. "Metro" apps because every one of them is immature. (e.g. You can't click and drag to move an e-mail to a different folder in "mail"). Also with any new Windows release, drivers and software is a bit iffy - sure you can use Windows 7 drivers here and there but expect minor glitches (e.g. Windows 7 driver installers can fail). Since I don't use the new apps, I'm using Windows 8 exactly as I would 7 except with a giant start screen.

EDIT: Note matching the productivity of Windows 7 with Windows 8 is only possible if you keep a crazily high mouse sensitivity like I do. (I can zip the cursor from one end of my 1080p screen to the other by only moving my mouse 3cm.) If you use a low sensitivitiy (e.g. having to traverse half your mousing area to go across the screen) the larger spacing of interface buttons will get you repetitive strain injuries in short order

If you will use a touch screen however, you will definitely want Windows 8. It was meant for a tablet and would definitely provide a better experience for touch-based e-mailing and surfing compared to trying Windows 7 with touch or the little stylus.

Last edited by frontier204; October 17, 2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Pointing to later thread
Old October 4, 2012, 11:55 PM
Allstar

why do people keep saying that you have to learn a new OS?

the desktop mode is identical to win7, except for the start menu (and the improvements to the desktop).

but ya, there's really no point in delaying your build.

EDIT:

in terms of sales, W8 will be a failure in the regard that it will almost entirely be OEM-pushed (relative to W7).

in terms of software quality, W8 is EXCELLENT*. It shares the same driver structure from W7; although, graphics appear to be funky - nothing that isn't expected though. Vista was a marketing failure (most people that criticized Vista never used it and based their opinions on pre-SP1 builds), 'partner' relations (printer driver support was at 'nearly' 0% at launch - printers were MUCH more important to home users back then) failure, and an overall technical challenge (if it wasn't for Vista, W7, AKA Vista SP2, would have been a piece of manure).

*excellent != perfect

Last edited by Generic User #2; October 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

only the crazy will say to install win8. do yourself a favor and just stick with 7
Old October 5, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
why do people keep saying that you have to learn a new OS?

the desktop mode is identical to win7, except for the start menu (and the improvements to the desktop).
There are a lot of similarities between Windows 7 and 8 (heck a lot of it is identical I agree), but there's enough "small" changes that put them all together and you create a different experience.

This affects people a lot more if they memorized or committed to habit the way they use the computer. I see this with my parents the most, who seem to memorize 1-2-3 steps (press button 1, then 2, then 3) to learn a computer rather than thinking of cause-and effect or relations (I want to get to point C, but I need to travel through B). Think also of people who think Outlook is the only way to get e-mails on a PC - tell them they can use a browser to e-mail and...

Take for instance shutting down or sleeping the computer, not taking into account hotkeys:
In Windows 7 you press the VISIBLE start button at the bottom LEFT of the screen which gives the option to shut down.
In Windows 8 you activate an INVISIBLE control at the RIGHT of the screen, select "Settings", and that gives you the options to shut down.
(What many users probably don't use is still available for both OSs - mash ALT-F4 at the desktop and you get a window with all the shutdown settings.)
Old October 5, 2012, 04:07 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questtt3 View Post
Hoping MS would not repeat the disaster that was Vista, hope springs eternal that W8 will be stable and an improvement . . .
I use the final release since the 15th of August and it's very stable, even BF3 run flawless with the last release of Nvidia driver. IE10 is a pain in the a$$ with some website, but I use Google Chrome, and it work fine in desktop and metro version. Actually I never go to the Metro Crap page , I install my applications shortcut on the taskbar. Still I prefer Windows 7, but since I have 2 PCs on my desk, I install 8 on one.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:38 PM
Rookie

Thank you everyone for all of your help with this!

In addition to all the ideas you have expressed here (again, thanks!) I have been reading every recent W8 review and opinion I can find (primarily those written since August--earlier responses were obvioulsy responding to earlier W8 versions and there have been a number of updates)--the general concensus appears to be rather negative. However, there have been some very enthusiastic responses to W8 and thus it is still kind of difficult to decide. One very informative article I came across from mid September has quite a bit of information:

Microsoft Windows 8 review - PC Advisor

Please correct me if I am wrong in my understanding, but it seems like the opening Metro screen is essentially a tiled Start menu with all the programs and some apps splayed out. One of the tiles is a "Desktop" tile that when clicked puts the user on the regular Desktop minus the Start menu. Many of the functions one needs are hidden on the left and right side of the screen as ribbons called charms (visible when you place the cursor there). Essentially everything else is about the same except the program was re-written from top to bottom and is thus more lean and faster in execution. I did a check on MS site of many common programs and my hardware and all appear to be compatable. MS compatability site:

Windows 8 Compatibility for adobe acrobat 8: Drivers, Updates, Downloads

. . . and yet, the Metro UI does have a lot of complaints and does on its face appear to be more touch screen driven than pc/mouse/non-touch screen driven. Also W7 does work while W8 is a new release (in most every other purchase I have always thought it best not to get the first version whether it be software, cars, or anything complex). And yet there does appear to have been a lot of testing and thought in THIS OS build . . . and a more streamlined OS should be a very good thing.

The idea of installing the Evaluation version is a good idea . . . but bkz of of some very tough work time constraints/deadlines coming-up near the end of October thru the end of February, now would be the best time to learn /play with W8--but yet I really hate to be unsettled and possibly doing multiple clean installs of my (soon to be (hopefully)) new OS. Hmmm . . .
Old October 5, 2012, 11:51 PM
Allstar

Metro is undeniably a touch-driven interface. If you think it's bad now...you should have seen the initial developer preview. ;) The best option by far is to try Win8 as a dual-boot; the second-best option is to try it in a VM. You've been warned: the VM experience was significantly different than the dual-boot experience in pre-RTM builds. I haven't bothered trying RTM in a VM yet and don't plan to.

My personal 'feature' in Metro-apps? the cloud-integration that forms the backbone of the Metro-ecosystem. I love to tinker with optimizing my software-builds and this involves reinstalling Windows from scratch (I tinker for fun and am more than a little bit OCD - I'm definitely not the standard usecase). Ideally, cloud-centric apps would allow me to flawlessly save and 'restore' data.

This isn't related to your question, but I've been toying around with the idea that Win8 with a specialized touch-screen monitor might be BETTER for new computer users. Think about the number of people 'afraid' to use a PC relative to the number of people afraid to use an iPad. The former group (think grandma on her type-writer) is VASTLY larger than the latter group. Windows 8 seems not to be an 'customer-retention'-focused OS, but rather a market-expansion push.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
only the crazy will say to install win8. do yourself a favor and just stick with 7
I totally agree