Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2012, 07:40 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'm trying Windows 8 as a weekend fun trip (colour me crazy) and I have had it on the folding rig for a week. Its tough to get used to thats for sure.

One thing that amazed me (still not a reason to stay with Win 8 though) is that it installed my wireless printer automagically once I joined the wireless network. Only one device on my recently new laptop did not get a good driver (my USB 3.0 controller).

I doubt I will be sticking with this for long. Right now I find myself creating all my old shortcuts and such in the Desktop mode (I even have a shortcut to the old Start Menu folder in my profile). Boot and shutdown times good, and the OS is pretty snappy, but Metro is slowing me down, and I believe it will continue to do so.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 6, 2012, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Trying to get a better grasp of Windows 8 . . . and having read that it is built off of W7 . . . is the primary difference between W7 and W8 the opening Metro page? In other words, once you click on the desktop icon on the Metro page and then have the desktop page open, do you have the same user experience that you have with Widnows 7 (minus the lower left Start button), or is this experience different too?

With no experience with W8, in theory an expanded Start page consisting of tiles does not sound especially bad, particularly if the overall user experience is quicker and dependable (I mean I like my smartphone) . . . however if the entire experience is a MS marketing manipulation (as some have expressed) at the expense of usability, then that would certainly be a deal breaker.

Thanks!
Old October 6, 2012, 09:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Accessing things like My Computer and such takes a bit of mucking around. With a bit of work you can get an 80% classic Windows experience once you blow past the Metro screen. I had some issues getting software to scale on my high def screen too...I had to create shortcuts, and select disabling scaling in the compatibility view for about 2/3 of the apps I use; on a regular monitor it would have been OK, but on my FHD screen lots of stuff scaled fuzzy.

I dropped Windows 8 from my laptop earlier tonight and have reinstalled Win7 as my daily driver for now. A couple of drivers and programs I use did not play well (including WiDi) so I figured I would come back to it sometime during the holidays in December when more driver and app support will be available.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 is for tablets and phones.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Just stick with Windows 7. Windows 8 is for tablets and phones.
this is what I think also, for me when 8 seemed to install allot of things ( crap) that I didn't like and i had to use a reg key to make it function like win 7 so there is no real reason to use win 8
Old October 9, 2012, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
this is what I think also, for me when 8 seemed to install allot of things ( crap) that I didn't like and i had to use a reg key to make it function like win 7 so there is no real reason to use win 8
that was the earlier preview right? The reg key "fix" has been completely disabled.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 9, 2012, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
that was the earlier preview right? The reg key "fix" has been completely disabled.
yes it was the preview, there is other ways though to get the classic desktop to work
Quote:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe, explorer.exe

Edit the Shell DWORD value above at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
Old October 9, 2012, 07:23 PM
Allstar

from what I recall, the regkey hack totally disabled all of win8's desktop features. You're referencing another registry modification?

the point of upgrading is to take advantage of the new functionality offered. if you want what you already have, why bother changing?; By definition, nothing new is going to be worth it.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I found Win8 to be a pretty fast OS though; boot times and shutdown times were faster for me than Win7, so that would be a good reason to upgrade.

Out of the box driver support was great, but missed some things for me. I'm going to wait until later this winter, when all the kinks (and possible 'Win 7 mode' mods) become available...in some ways Win 8 is a worthy upgrade if you can get past Metro and the odd driver issue.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 11, 2012, 03:27 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questtt3 View Post
I am putting together the final components for my new computer I am hoping to build in the next week. Really, my last big question is, what Windows OS to use?!?

I have been following threads and reviews and found relatively few people posting anything particularly favorable about W8 and the few that have still have some issues and concerns.

Hoping MS would not repeat the disaster that was Vista, hope springs eternal that W8 will be stable and an improvement . . . but then again many may have been thinking the same thing just before Vista came out with memories of Windows ME still fresh in their minds.

For those that have used and/or are familiar with W8 . . . would you recommend holdong off the build and waiting until the end of the month and then installing W8?

While I could install W7 and then later upgrade ($15), I may be a bit compulsive but I always do a clean install when I upgrade my OS (prefer a clean slate). I kind of hate to install all my programs and files etc. only to have to go back and re-do everything . . . would be easier of course to just set everything up from the start . . . but maybe W7 and later W8 is the thing to do. At a bit of a loss on this one.

Would really appreciate hearing your thoughts--best to go W7 now and then later W8 or just wait and install W8 from the start at the end of the month?!? Thanks!!

Best way to is learn for yourself bout each OS

The only way you will learn anything in regards to this is to do it for yourself

Try each OS out.

To expensive you say? get a ms tech net subscription
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9