Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Internet Security

I posted this in the Off Topic/ Hot Deals forum but on further consideration more people needing " paid for protection" will look here rather than there..
Hot Deals!!!!!

Staples
Old September 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
I posted this in the Off Topic/ Hot Deals forum but on further consideration more people needing " paid for protection" will look here rather than there..
Hot Deals!!!!!

Staples
Why spend $40 on a useless piece of software. Install MSE for free.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

We"re not all pro"s here or someboby that wants to re-install windows every week; and if you"re doing online banking myself I"ll spend the $5.83 per pc per year.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
We"re not all pro"s here or someboby that wants to re-install windows every week; and if you"re doing online banking myself I"ll spend the $5.83 per pc per year.
Explain to me how you think something like this protects your online banking? Online banking is done over a 128bit SSL connection and no piece of software will help you protect that.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This will protect your online banking by preventing you from clicking on bogus links in phishing emails and entering your banking information into a scam website. If the database correctly identifies the scam website.

Or you could follow the bank's advice, which has been the same since the invention of paper mail and the telephone: Don't give your banking information away just because someone contacts you and asks for it, because the banks will not be the ones contacting you.
Old September 29, 2012, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bitdefender was a bugfest the last time I tried the demo 2 years back. Its little hooks were causing my Firefox and Thunderbird to crash.

I put Norton Internet Security on my parents' computer as it was reviewed to have higher detection rates than MSE at the time, and my mother is going all over Facebook - installed >10 apps without even knowing it. I thought the Facebook scanner feature was a comedy item before seeing that but now I'm happy to see it The outbound firewall is also another security net I can check to make sure no dumb stuff has gone on my family's computers.

For Anti-Phishing my second line of defence is OpenDNS which has a nice database courtesy of their Phishtank movement. The first is asking my family every so often to be able to identify a phish e-mail.

That said, this year may be the last time I use paid AV since everyone in my family has smartphones and preventing the dumb use of that is a losing battle
Old September 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
Allstar

the only idiot-proof system is a system without idiots ;)

if you REALLY care about your online banking, you would do everything through your bank's mobile app on a 3G connection.

NO, that is most definitely not foolproof. however, it instantly protects you against phishing attempts* and means that only 'bad guys' with respectable monetary backing (much more costly than a phishing website) and happen to be near your cell-tower** would be able affect you.

*then again, a better idiot would be built to prove me wrong here :(

**more or less...they don't necessarily have to be connected to the same tower, but the cops would be dealing with them by that point.
Old September 30, 2012, 02:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
the only idiot-proof system is a system without idiots ;)

if you REALLY care about your online banking, you would do everything through your bank's mobile app on a 3G connection.

NO, that is most definitely not foolproof. however, it instantly protects you against phishing attempts* and means that only 'bad guys' with respectable monetary backing (much more costly than a phishing website) and happen to be near your cell-tower** would be able affect you.

*then again, a better idiot would be built to prove me wrong here :(

**more or less...they don't necessarily have to be connected to the same tower, but the cops would be dealing with them by that point.
That assumes you haven't downloaded a malware app which you gave permission to capture keystrokes, or just a plain old fake bank app.
Old September 30, 2012, 04:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
That assumes you haven't downloaded a malware app which you gave permission to capture keystrokes, or just a plain old fake bank app.
This'd be my first thread-jack in a long time...
Hmm that's not too bad an idea, not with the cellphone but a dedicated online banking device / OS... Something like a LiveCD that you use only to log on to your banking web site, do your business, and then log off. I guess that'd lower the probability of you being hacked to less than that of someone stealing your wallet. If you're not using GSM/CDMA device for this, you'll probably want it wired.

Back on topic, I think $ / protection a Ubuntu LiveCD would beat a paid AV (or any AV for that matter). The paid AV's advantage these days is simply that there aren't as many malware makers targeting them: why spend the resources to bypass McAfee+Norton+Bitdefender+etc if beating MSE would get you most of the "market".
Old September 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
come on....if you downloaded a fake banking app, there is no hope for you. anyone like that would already be on an iphone, which would protect them from themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
This'd be my first thread-jack in a long time...
Hmm that's not too bad an idea, not with the cellphone but a dedicated online banking device / OS... Something like a LiveCD that you use only to log on to your banking web site, do your business, and then log off. I guess that'd lower the probability of you being hacked to less than that of someone stealing your wallet. If you're not using GSM/CDMA device for this, you'll probably want it wired.
you don't need to make a custom OS to achieve this. just whitelist the banking website, don't install any plugins, and ONLY turn on the computer when you're using it.

only the first step matters ;) the rest is to just make you feel better

EDIT: you'd actually have to make sure theres no network connection to any other computers. I imagine other hardware requirements being a DSL line used solely for that computer.

Last edited by Generic User #2; September 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM.