Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Version Control Software + Cloud Storage

I was wondering if anyone knew some version control software (like tortoise SVN) and cloud storage (like drop box) that actually work together or embedded as one?

Looking to have something like that for my final year project so 5 of us can access our content wherever we are yet each time we work on something it's a new version (so we can history back, mainly for our software side of things)
Old September 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I don't know of any version control that is linked with Dropbox, but would be interested if you did find something.

My personal development environment has me working out of Dropbox. So all the sites/apps I am working on are stored in a Dropbox folder. So it sync's every time I save the file I am working on. Then I push to Git or BitBucket as I complete tasks...depends on what the project is using for version control. But I am the only one on that Dropbox account.

Obviously my setup wouldn't work if myself and other developers on the project had access to the same Dropbox as we would be overwriting ourselves all the time. Hence why I don't think you'll see version control + dropbox integrated.

I think you just need to setup a BitBucket team and call it a day, not sure if you need anything fancier. It provides everything you are looking for. Just do a fresh pull before you start working and then push/pull while working.

If you want more details on a setup that should work for you, just let me know. I can walk you through it. Off the top of my head though, I say a BitBucket team is what you are looking for. Up to 5 members for free. Private repos.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:13 PM
Allstar

What about using an AWS instance and Git?
Old September 27, 2012, 12:59 AM
Allstar

its called github.

the VCS is git. the storage is 'hub'.

done and done ;)

EDIT:

no...GIT and GITHUB are NOT synonymous terms.

EDIT2:

let me know if you're against this idea for some reason. but it honestly is the simplest solution.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

With five users you can also use BitBucket with Mercurial:
https://bitbucket.org/

My group used Bitbucket for one of my graduate class projects, while my final project in undergrad used a SVN server hosted off one of my older rigs. For stuff that didn't have to be versioned we used Dropbox.
VCS running off Dropbox or any other auto-sync cloud storage will corrupt itself if multiple people commit / push at the same time, so don't do it.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
VCS running off Dropbox or any other auto-sync cloud storage will corrupt itself if multiple people commit / push at the same time, so don't do it.
^truth

Dropbox is in reality a single user tool. the sharing features are simply niceties.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep I remember working for a research group that used Dropbox; a few members were working on some MS Word documents and software together and they were conflicting all over the place. Apparently someone decided to ditch VCS in favour of Dropbox (ah academia, I love you so much...)
When I was asked to write code for them, I, dusted off a workstation they had in storage, and set up a Subversion server + backups on it (I would've set up distributed VCS but they were using all kinds of platforms and dev environments so I opted for a platform that supported all the stuff they used.)
Old September 28, 2012, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm bitbucket doesn't look too bad though it seems primarily or only for code. Want to version control/back up our Documents as well.
Old September 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
Allstar

text is text (or significantly more accurately, bits are bits).

don't expect to be able to diff those types of files, but it'll save and revert them just fine.
Old September 28, 2012, 05:33 PM
Allstar

For your documents you could use something like owncloud. It has file revisions, I have just recently come across this and am playing with it. There are some VM appliance companies like turnkey that make VMs that are setup in a few min if you wanted to play with one.