Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2012, 05:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yeah github works.. you can have private repo for free by creating an account using your university email address via
github.com/edu

But i am pretty sure your cs faculty should have some form of hosting for git or svn etc.
Old September 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Want to version control/back up our Documents as well.
Well a normal VCS won't have much problems (I've seen SVN, Mercurial, and Perforce repos carrying all sorts of files), but as mentioned you won't have much control over what happens if 2 people happen to edit the same document. The exception to this is if you use LaTeX to do the document, since it's text-based markup that "compiles" into a PDF.

LaTeX - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Old September 30, 2012, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Chukbaka, I'm not in the CS department, I'm in Engineering. We just want to have a universal version control on everything we do for our project,

Are there any options where I can run some sort of service/server at home and allow people to connect to download/submit their copies and have it all archive on my server machine?

We've heard about Latex, one of our professors uses it, no real interest in that. People are not going to be accessing/editing the same document at the same time, we just want to have version control so that when we edit document A in October, when we edit it again in Nov we still have the version from October saved safely away elsewhere.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:51 AM
Allstar

Yes you could run SVN or GIT on your home machine. Many of us involved in open source projects from time to time have done so. It works as well for documentation as it does for code. I know one fellow who uses git for his website design work.
Old September 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
Allstar

then you have no problem. I've never seen a project WITHOUT documents included.

git honestly is the easiest option though.