Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd recommend registering a domain with Namecheap.com and then just use their Dynamic DNS client to keep your IP updated, which updates fairly quickly from what I've seen. They're hosting services are pretty cheap too if you wanna go that route, but yeah if not just register a domain for like $11/year, download the dynamicdns client and finished... Other than setting up your web server.
Old October 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so I've decided just to bite the bullet and pay a monthly fee in order to get image hosting without the hassle of abysmal load times of the free image hosting websites. I'm currently looking at hostgator but will be shopping around a bit to make sure I'm getting the least expensive solution since it's not going to be high bandwidth, and I honestly can't see myself using it for anything other than hosting images.

So now for the dumb question from somebody who's last attempt at anything web related was using an early version of arachnophilia to create a vanity page back in the `90s.....

If I purchase a domain name, is uploading (I've used ftp before) images and then being able to host them onto other websites (like hardware canucks) fairly straightforward and intuitive, or is the fact that I'm not intending to create actual website content going to make getting those images to appear elsewhere a pain in the arse?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, it should be straight forward.

If I understand correctly, you would just upload the images into the root of your domain hosting then just hyperlink it IE: http://www.sswilson.com/pic1.jpg would simply load that pic in your browser.
Old October 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
No, it should be straight forward.

If I understand correctly, you would just upload the images into the root of your domain hosting then just hyperlink it IE: http://www.sswilson.com/pic1.jpg would simply load that pic in your browser.
Ok, that's pretty easy. I'm assuming I'd be able to create directories rather than just using the root?

As it stands, hostgater is looking like $80 will get me 1 year worth of domain name and hosting.

edit: Now I'm wondering if I need to spend $15 for a domain name or if there are hosting websites which will just give me a sub-domain off of their own.

edit#2 (and hopefully it'll still be seen... ;) )

As far as canadian hosting services go, does anybody have experience with "Canadian WebHosting" ( Canadian Web Hosting - Web Hosting Canada all in Canadian dollars - Plus Canada Domain Hosting Services ) or Myhosting.com ( VPS Hosting, Virtual Servers & Hosted Exchange | myhosting.com ) ?

Looks like $50 will get me a year's worth of hosting at myhosting.com, but I'm a little bit concerned with the "shared server" thingy.... I don't need a dedicated machine, but would that affect transfer speeds?

Anywise... thanks in advance for any suggestions, and if anybody knows of a member who runs such a service, please feel free to PM me and I won't consider it to be spam. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; October 15, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:33 PM
Allstar

Yes you can create sub-directories.

Shared hosting is the most common web hosting available. It's what keeps costs down and makes it affordable for personal accounts. Normally it should not affect your speed. The thing to watch is hosts that are selling tons of space or bandwidth dirt cheap. Neither are "unlimited" and there are often hidden "gotcha's" in the TOS if you start using most of the advertised resources. I have no experieince with either of those two companies but they are both "unlimited" plans which for me is a big red flag.

I don't know how much space/bandwidth you need but I can recommend A Small Orange: Homegrown Hosting . I've been with them for almost 7 years have have never had a serious problem and their support is excellent. If you do like them and decide to go with them you can find discount coupons in some of the signatures (including mine) on their forums.
Old October 15, 2012, 07:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Yes you can create sub-directories.

Shared hosting is the most common web hosting available. It's what keeps costs down and makes it affordable for personal accounts. Normally it should not affect your speed. The thing to watch is hosts that are selling tons of space or bandwidth dirt cheap. Neither are "unlimited" and there are often hidden "gotcha's" in the TOS if you start using most of the advertised resources. I have no experieince with either of those two companies but they are both "unlimited" plans which for me is a big red flag.

I don't know how much space/bandwidth you need but I can recommend A Small Orange: Homegrown Hosting . I've been with them for almost 7 years have have never had a serious problem and their support is excellent. If you do like them and decide to go with them you can find discount coupons in some of the signatures (including mine) on their forums.
See, that's the main issue. I have absolutely no idea what kind of bandwidth I would need either. Posting images for a worklog on a website like HWC pretty much leaves bandwidth up to fate... If you get close to 1000 views X 50 or so images @ aprox 3.5 MB for those images, how long does it take to eat up bandwidth? (So long as my math is correct, that's 3.5G bandwidth for just one website) What happens if I post an image that shows a particular clearance or orientation of a product that ends up being linked to from other websites? (It was interesting to see the linkbacks on products like the CM Hyper 212+).

Thus is my concern. I'd like to be able to sign up for a long(er) term contract, but don't want to get it wrong. :)

I will most certainly have a look at your recommendation.

Old October 15, 2012, 08:09 PM
Allstar

there's really no easy answer for the bandwidth calculations. I've never seen ANYONE (personal projects or large corporations) accurately predict their hosting needs.

keep an eye on the host's bandwidth policy: as in, will they let you use up as much as you need and charge you extra fees or if they will simply shut down your website until you couhg up the dough.
Old October 16, 2012, 03:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

No-ip + apache works great, you can set the gui to update your ip as often as every 5min.<br>
Old October 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Top Prospect

I know it's a little late, but FreeDNS works fine for me. Just make sure to update your IP address if your ISP uses dynamic IPs.

Little to no down time, works great.