Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
Allstar

Default USB3 vs USB2 vs ODD for Windows installation

I'm pretty sure that the media and I/O device you use to install win7 affects how long the whole process takes (assuming you're on a decent quality HDD/SSD).

there's a few assumptions I have in my head atm, can you let me know if they're accurate?:

*assume this is a brand new box that just got put together and POSTs successfully.

-installing from USB2 is faster than installing from an ODD
-using a USB3 drive in a USB3 port is the same as a USB2 drive in a USB2 port because there are no drivers to enable USB3 speeds (are the USB3 ports even usable without an OS installed?)
Old August 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Installing from a fast USB thumb drive will be faster than ODD however I think the USB3 port question is going to depend on the motherboard.

It's an interesting question and I wouldn't mind knowing the answer either....
Old August 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You will most likely have to slipstream in the USB 3 drivers. It is easy. I got a SuperTalent SuperCrypt that does over 200mb/sec and OMFG is it FAST for doing windows 7 installs. HUGE difference. Well worth the effort. Think a couple minutes from start to finish.

NOW if you dont have an uber fast USB 3 thumb drive...installing from USB 3 may not make all that big a dif. All depends on what gear you got. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Allstar

i've installed win7 and timed it three times recently.

it was 17min from an external DVD
22min for an internal DVD drive that we jacked from his alienware
roughly 12min from usb2 drive onto a virtual machine

this is the reason for my assumptions.

anyone care to test this out?

EDIT: what do you mean by 'slipstream'? I've only used that in the context of updating an .iso file.

EDIT2: do we have any confirmed USB3 ports that work at USB3 speeds without a driver? will we always need a driver or is this just a transitionary period?
Old August 21, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Slipstream is exactly what you said, you slipstream the driver in to the operating system's install files in the ISO, and yes you'll need to do that to use USB3 to do OS installs.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:30 AM
Allstar

oh....but that sounds like it would require me to install the OS completely before the USB3 driver kicked into effect. in essence, saving me from downloading it after its installed.

are you referring to the install step where you see a 'load drivers' option by any chance? I've never used it personally, but I imagine I could find the USB3 driver in the .iso file and have it up and running BEFORE the windows install process begins. is that how it works?
Old August 21, 2012, 04:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You'd have to mount the install.wim and merge the drivers into it using dism. I think there's some user-written GUI interfaces that effectively do this too, but it's just a couple commands.

I would assume Windows 8 boots off USB3 no problem since it natively supports it. I've been running Ubuntu off my USB3 drive on my laptop for a couple days now without any issues. It actually runs quite fast.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can still use the USB3 ports without the drivers as I have done it multiple times but I am guessing that I would be going at usb2 speeds. If I get a chance I will try to time the difference between usb3 and usb2 but that all depends on if anyone buys something new or drops off something that needs a rebuild.